New duckie mom

Duck poop smells terrible... might be the type of feed too... I use Purina Flock Raiser for all my ducks, it's better balanced for their needs and causes a little less stinky poops too... are they getting niacin supplement? They absolutely need it if they're on chick starter for the first 10 weeks...

Kennel looks good! You could remove the pan though, it'll just make for a lot extra mess... get a half gallon milk jug, cleaned out, cut a hole big enough for their heads at top of their back height and secure it in one corner filled with water... that will give them the deep water they need to be able to submerge their heads to clean out their eyes and nares and cut back on water mess... just make sure the hole isn't big enough for them to climb into it... replace with new ones as they grow...

@Amiga got any more tips, links or ideas, please?? :)

First thought - yellowish orange poo not within range of normal unless they are eating treats that are that color. Yeast infection?

Duck poop smells the most when the diet is high in protein. Exception: every now and then, ducks release what some call a cecal poop, I think. A real eye burner. Nervous ducks also make eye-burners.

We had this more when the ducks were 3 to 8 weeks old - they were a jumble of nerves for a while.

Anyone know what might help if the ducklings have a yeast overgrowth?

I found this - for what it's worth http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=3090

Last edited:
Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother, maybe? :confused:

Edited to add - put a tbl spoon full in the water for a bit and see if that helps...

Last edited:

These are mallard ducklings I rescued last year and released, at 2 days, 1, 2 & 3 weeks of age.

I know nothings about raising ducks, but fed them medication chicken starter, kept them in a chicken run and attached a kiddie pool to it. I also ordered them meal worms. They grew and thrived. But I am not endorsing my way at all! I was doing the best I could. They pooped a lot and it smelled awful. This was my set up and once they were older I moved them to the grass.

I never held mine and they always remained scared of me I kept them in food when I relased them until they were gone for good one day.

Last edited:
Ducks are not supposed to have medicated feed at all!!

With great respect to folks who hold to that approach, I would like to say that over the six and a half years I have been raising ducks, I have read numerous different opinions about that.

A while back, from what I have read, the medication used was not good for ducklings. Then they switched to amprolium, that is said to be okay.

Some of us would still rather not feed medicated, just based on the sense that if a duckling does not need the medication, why would we give it?

At the same time, if I were feeding ducklings and only had medicated chick starter, I think I would go with that until I could find an alternative.

Confusing, seems to me....

Last edited:
Great thread. I am sure I will have another opportunity to raise ducks, living by a refuge. I didn't realize the food was medicated until I bought it for my chicks this year. The co-op gave me chick starter last year and it is their big bag of what they sell. I called many places trying to get advice. So I am thankful to have this forum for advice now.

They aren't on a niacin supplement. I went to the store that sold them to me and they recommended medicated feed. I just got them weaned from it and they are back on that Purina flock starter. They seem to have a decent amount of energy most of the time, they love cuddling with my fiance and I and running around. I kept them inside for a few days to see if the dandelions they were eating was the reason for the poop. I don't think it was. They are growing a lot (they have almost tripled in size) and their big bird feathers are starting to come in. But the bigger one bites the little ones butt while they swim and I think shes breaking them off. The milk jug idea is a really good one. Are there any pictures to help me see what you mean? I'll start adding the apple cider vinegar, is there a time period for that or is it a fairly regular thing? Thank you guys so much, I am just really attached to my ducks and don't want to overlook a real problem or freak out over nothing.

Back
Top Bottom