New duckling biting other

tessandherducks

Songster
Jul 10, 2022
England, London
Hi, so about a week and a bit ago, 1 out of my 6 duck eggs hatched and so today I got him a friend who is only 1 day younger.
when introducing them I put them in the dark for 1.30 hours , as this is what I was told to do of the lady I got her from.
now that they are in light my original duckling is pecking my new one. Is this normal?should they just get used to each othe?
many thanks đź‘Ť

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    747.2 KB · Views: 24
Is this normal?should they just get used to each othe?
Yes. They are still too young to be worried about pecking order or territory disputes.

Most pecking at this stage is curiosity and exploration.. They are equally matched and should get on just fine.

If it's relentless and the newer duckling is just trying to avoid the original and seems stressed.. then my suggestion may not be the same. But if otherwise eating, drinking, grooming, etc.. then we like to use look but don't touch scenario.. I'd be surprised if that's needed this early.

Glad you were able to get a friend! Cute babies. :love

You might try and get a second brooder mate. That will reduce the likelihood of you being left with one lonely duck and it is easier to integrate a new duckling at such a young age than an adult duck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom