New Duckling Daddy! <3

Mikanik

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Today, after doing a great deal of research, we picked up our ducklings. One Cayuga & one Rouen. I special ordered a Pekin...well, they were out and weren't getting any in for another two weeks..I just had them up their order to this coming Tuesday. Now I'm reconsidering my choice & looking for a little advice.....I've completely fallen in love with our Cayuga and the Rouen is definitely growing on me. I'm debating on getting another one of either of those instead of the Pekin now. So I'm throwing this out there to the duck-owner-Universe for help! My biggest want is a great tempered duck, not so much worried about a great layer (even though that would be a plus), and one that's fairly personable. Soo....Thanks in advance!
big_smile.png

To increase the chance of getting a female cayuga or rouen who will actually lay you some eggs - I would go for a second on either breed - but if the main focus is on a pet- then go with the pekin. They are one of the most popular choices because of their wonderful personality.

I vote for Cayuga..... I raised 4 last year and they are the most friendly, pea loving, baby's you'd ever want. My fav is my girl Opal. She is my couch duck. I love her to bits. I also have to say they are so friendly that I take them every where. I have ducky diapers for them. They go for rides in the truck. And go to my sons school and walk the halls and visit the kids.

Cayuga's have my vote
big_smile.png

Agreed. My Cayuga is super friendly and has a funny personality. I didn't handle him as a duckling a lot and he's not skittish at all.
love.gif

LOL....I thought ya'll were gonna make this decision easier on me!
wink.png
Well, talking to the better half...I think egg laying is going to be a factor because we have some good neighbors and what's a better gift than some fresh duck eggs? Plus we have an amazing Farmer's Market here in the summer that would probably be a big hit! Still....my mind isn't quite made up! Ever since I was a little kid I've always pictured myself with a little golden duckling turning into a beautiful white duck...but that's just a childhood dream.
smile.png
of course, it would be a nice little variety...rouen, cayuga and pekin... I think I'm just gonna have to choose when I get there and let my heart lead the way! <3 Unless anyone else has anymore info to sway me one way or the other... LOL

here is what i can tell you. we have pekins, 2 drakes and 5 hens (mature) and they are busy laying us eggs year round. i've only heard that your other breeds of duck do not lay year round. the pekins will not brood, that trait has been bred out of them, so if you want ducklings you'll either have to incubate or try your luck with a broody chicken. so far we've hatched 19 out of 39, in 2 sessions, so not too bad for beginers. the pekin is the most "popular" pet duck but i'm all about meat bird and eggs as i'm trying to teach my 12 year old grandaughter the business end of life on the farm and how chores do pay off. good luck to you and enjoy those ducks (over easy,scrambled, baked, or barbequed) ps we live in colorado and even in the cold of winter they are laying eggs.

Quote:
LOL..if I had my way that's exactly what I'd do! Unfortunately 3 is our limit
sad.png
After reading some posts on Pekins around here...I'm knda leaning towards another Cayuga. I have a couple neighbors close by so I need a quieter adult. It makes me a little sad because, as I've said before, since I was a kid I've always wanted a Pekin...always pictured raising one of those cute little golden/yellow ducklings to a beautiful white adult and walking around my gardens, duck in tow. Of course, 3 ducks are better than no ducks even if none are my "dream" duck.

I do have another question....can you coddle your ducklings too much?? My babies are super duper spoiled even in just the two days we've had them. All my animals are though....I'm typing this with my lab, chihuahua, and cat hogging up most of my bed and my ducklings within 2 inches away from my bed. LOL Last night I actually made a "nest" from an old sweater and they slept ALL NIGHT with my hand covering them....once in a while they would rub up against it or even do that little cleaning thing they do. It was a must last night because they just wouldn't be quiet unless they were near me. I figure that's a good sign that they were imprinted on humans though! Anyway...I'm rambling (I apologize in advance for *any* future posts I make in this forum...rambling is something I do best)....I don't want to spoil them to a point that it's detrimental to their well being once they're placed outside or just in general, if that possible. I'm probably just being an over paranoid new daddy though!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom