LaJazzyJeff

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2020
Clayton, North Carolina
We hatched a duckling today that was about a week younger than the other two, so we expected it to hatch later than our first two.
During development, it caught up to the others very quickly to the point where you could barely tell it was late.
When it hatched unassisted today, when she came out, the yolk sac also came out as well.
image.jpg

Honestly I thought that was probably just normal at first or something...
The duckling has a weird bump of flesh near its bottom. Im worried to open the incubator to try and get a picture. I never open the incubator while the duckling is wet. Our house is pretty cold.
Shes only about 10 minutes old (4:13pm 12/24/20)
Please help!!

We hatched a duckling today that was about a week younger than the other two, so we expected it to hatch later than our first two.
During development, it caught up to the others very quickly to the point where you could barely tell it was late.
When it hatched unassisted today, when she came out, the yolk sac also came out as well.
View attachment 2462417
Honestly I thought that was probably just normal at first or something...
The duckling has a weird bump of flesh near its bottom. Im worried to open the incubator to try and get a picture. I never open the incubator while the duckling is wet. Our house is pretty cold.
Shes only about 10 minutes old (4:13pm 12/24/20)
Please help!!
I don’t think it’s something you need to worry about. It looks a lot like some of the leftover egg sac that they absorb just prior to hatching. As for the little “stump” that you’re describing, it’s also another part of the egg sac. It’s connected to them in the egg. I suppose you could call it like an umbilical cord. But either way, after about a day or so, it will sort of slide back into their body. Nothing really to worry about either. If you could try to get just a rough pic, it doesn’t have to be perfect but I’d like to see exactly what you are talking about.
congrats on your hatchling!

I don’t think it’s something you need to worry about. It looks a lot like some of the leftover egg sac that they absorb just prior to hatching. As for the little “stump” that you’re describing, it’s also another part of the egg sac. It’s connected to them in the egg. I suppose you could call it like an umbilical cord. But either way, after about a day or so, it will sort of slide back into their body. Nothing really to worry about either. If you could try to get just a rough pic, it doesn’t have to be perfect but I’d like to see exactly what you are talking about.
congrats on your hatchling!
Thank you! My mom and I werent quite sure how to deal with it since the other two didnt have it!

Back
Top Bottom