New ducklins, HELP! PIC

crash0330

Songster
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Mecca, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Ok so I just got 6 new ducklins from cackle Hatchery today! YAY! its awesome, I believe there all Rouen, which its awesome cuz thats what I wanted , anyways my question is, Is it ok for them to swim on the little water pan I put in there for them? its big enough fpr them to get in it and shallow enough so they dont drown, they seem to like it a lot, but I dont wanna risk their life can you guys please give me some advise should I wait til there a little older or should I leave the pan in there and let them have fun?
Thanks in advance.
18aa90b9.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know what the standard is, but I let mine splash for a bit then took the water pan out, until they were a week old. I made sure they dried off under a warm light after I toweled them, because they have no preening ability at that age.

I did leave the waterer in all the time, seems they had great fun with that, too! Messy little stinkers!
big_smile.png

I supervise swimtime the first several times because they can tire and sink until they get bigger. I use a paint tray since it has a ramp and they walk up it when they are tired of the water! I don't leave them alone yet with water they could drown in, and, like ranchhand, I towel dry them and let them fall asleep in my arms while I watch TV.
tongue.png

This is Blue and Camille's first bath (they are now graduating to the bathtub since this is now too small!):

32597_bathboth.jpg

At three days we used a cake pan with an inch or two of 90 degree F water for about three minutes, then dried them off in the brooder with clean dry bedding. If you don't let them get too tired, or chilled, stay wet too long,or leave them alone, they should be fine.

Quote:
Thanks you guys I think I'll remove the pan I had in there and replace it with a much smaller one where they'll only be able to get their bill wet and not their whole body.
BTW are there actually Rouens? (see pic on first post.)

Back
Top Bottom