New egg today!!

grampsjim

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 6, 2014
Ardmore, Oklahoma
I found 3 eggs today which means one of my newbies has started to lay. I know it must be her first because its small and kind of long. My daughter's new pullets eggs where shaped this way. However, my question is-- Is it normal for first eggs from first timers to be more poopy than the older hens? I know you aren't supposed to wash them but, I can't bring myself to refrigerate them with poop all over them. Thanks!!

Last edited:
if they are too poopy i toss them but i do wash my eggs. i wouldnt put eggs in my fridge with poop on them either. they tell you that because they last longer if you dont wash the "bloom" off but mine dont stick around that long anyway

My new layers don't usually have poopy eggs. They do often have a streak of blood on them though. OUCH!
hit.gif

right ! makes me shudder sometimes. they sell roll away nest boxes if it continues but keep your box clean, it probably is already and give it a couple more eggs.
big_smile.png

Well they are insisting on laying in a corner under the roost, so it's possible I guess that some poop may be in the leaves under the roost and therefore would get on the new eggs. I'm pretty amused at keeping an egg so long, as well. I may be rethinking the whole washing the egg business.
old.gif

I would not put the poopy egg in the nest box. Yuck. I did buy the ceramic eggs that go in the nesting boxes to help the chickens understand where I wanted them laid, It has worked great for me. You can use a golf ball or if you have the plastic Easter eggs you can tape them shut and use those as well. I like the ceramic ones because the have a similar weight and feel as a real egg.

I didn't put it in the nest box. They're making their own nest in the leaves under the roost. Easter eggs didn't work for us. I guess I'll try the ceramic or golf balls.

Well, the ceramic eggs seem to be working and my girls are laying in the nests. I have one girl who eggs are still poopy. I'm wondering if she may have torn something? There's no blood on it, so I'm not sure what's happening. I put ACV in their water yesterday and will see if that helps. I'll try the probiotic when I can get to the store for some. I keep Greek yogurt here at the house as I prefer it over sour cream. I'll try that, as well.

Back
Top Bottom