New -- Eggs Internally Pipped Yesterday. Now What?

Lamar Estate

Songster
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hello--

I could use some advice. I know this question has been asked before, but I'm just very anxious!

My Cayuga x Khaki Campbell-Cayuga mix breed eggs pipped internally yesterday (day 26). Their beaks are in the air cell. I can hear and feel little tapping. The eggs occasionally rock a little bit. I haven't heard them peep.

Do they need to pip externally within 24 hours? I've been reading conflicting information. Some people say to wait 2 days. Other people say that they will suffocate if they don't pip externally after 24 hours.

The temperature is at 98 degrees and the humidity is at 75%.

I'm not going to open the incubator again unless it's necessary. (It's so hard to not candle them!)

Thank you.

I would not open the bator again... Duck eggs are 28 days anyway -so this little feller is early:) I have had eggs pipped for two days before they come out...It's a nerve killer for sure....They dont need to pip externally within that time frame-they'll pip when they can and are able...are your plugs on bator opened for fresh air to circulate? the eggs at this point are somewhat porous-per say-allowing air to that pipped membrane.

24-48 hours until pip. Be aware that the external pip can be so small that you may not see it. It is ok to open the incubator as long as they have not externally piped. Opening after that can cause shrink wrapping. I would up the humidity into the 80s. Ideal hatching temperature is 97-98 degrees (lower then incubation temp).

I have a call duck egg that pipped this time yesterday and 1 this morning...... It is driving me crazy. I stare at the incubator until my eyes are crossed.

It's been almost 2 days now. None of the eggs have external pips. I see them slightly rocking every once in awhile. Should there be more movement? Should I be nervous?

I have 4 vent holes (about 1/2 inch each) open. I do open the incubator every 5 hours or so to add water.

Please HELP!

Opening the incubator every five hours during lockdown is not ideal. Each time you have allowed the humidity to drop- it can actually take a few hours for it to increase again. What type of incubator are you using?? No incubator I have ever heard of should need you to open it so regularly to add water. The ducklings can easily get shrink wrapped by the membrane drying out - so maintaining the correct humidity is so very important.

98 Degrees - is that what you have had it set to all through the incubation- or just for the last few days??

Pipping is caused by the ducking spasming due to a build up of CO2 in the egg. It will break the inner membrane first- then as the air runs out from inside the aircell - more spasming causes them to break through the shell. If the duckling is unable to move fairly freely in the egg- its beak will not reach the shell to be able to break it. The fact that you can still movement in the eggs is a good sign- but keeping up the humidity is the most important thing right now. You can place a sponge- or extra bowl of water in the bator- and even close some of the vent holes to increase the humidity - try to get it to 80 % or even 85% if you can to try to compensate for the fact that you have opened the incubator so often.

There is still hope that they will hatch- but you may have to assist them if they are already shrink wrapped.

I use aquarium tubing and a syringe to add water that way I dont have to open the bator. I kept my humidity at 80 to 85% during lockdown. One duckie ntook 2 days to hatch from pip.

Thank you for the replies. I really appreciate advice!

I will just use tubing and a syringe for now on. No more opening the lid to add water!

I had the temperature at 99.5 degrees until day 26. On day 26, it was set at 98 degrees.

The eggs were slightly rocking this morning, but still no external pip.
hit.gif

When do I panic?
barnie.gif

Hatching really can test your nerves.. Good about the temps..I was just checking as low temps can cause late hatches. They arent overdue yet- so try not to worry to much- but they should pip soon if everything is ok. Its really hard to know just when to start assistance- too soon and you may loose them anyway- too late...and well..
sad.png
Its really something that comes with experience and knowing what a normal hatch in your own incubator is really like.

How many eggs do you have in there??

I have 5 eggs in a (gulp) homemade incubator. It's the typical Styrofoam cooler incubator shown on BYC's Learning Center page.

I just added wet paper towels through one of the air holes and sprayed a fine mist of warm water also through an air hole to get the humidity up.

As you can tell from the hours left on my postings, I've been up all night worrying and staring at the eggs. My drake Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and duck Beaker are up with me. Beaker likes to look through the incubator window to see her eggs. She cocks her head when she hears the ducklings peep, which is one of the only things keeping me from going totally crazy right now.

When will I know it's time to assist? Does assisting mean just poking a hole in the air sac end?

Back
Top Bottom