New -- Eggs Internally Pipped Yesterday. Now What?

Peeping is also a really good sign!! Beaker sounds like such a character. No Gulp needed.... Good on you for teying to make your own - Homemade incubators can be very good- but just like a mass produced type - they can still need some tweeking over a number of hatches to get right. I cant remember how many late nights..or all nighters I have pulled waiting for a particular egg. I have driven home on my lunch breaks from work to check - and even once let my daughter miss a school sports carnival to stay home and watch a hatch. Misting could be good through the air hole- I always find that after misting they can be very active.

Poking a hole can be done with a very fine drill bit. Rotated through the fingers very gently- and especially when it gets close to breaking through. The drill bit could easily go through the shell- and hit the duckling if not carefully controlled. It can help to let them breath- and if you pull away a very small bit of shell- you can shine a flashlight inside to see what the membrane looks like. If it is white it is dry and the duckling may need further assistance - either way- it is a good idea to give it a fine mist spray before putting it back into the incubator. Sometimes peeling of the shell is needed to assist hatches- but one important factor to remember is- sometimes ducklings dont hatch for a good reason- helping may not be the kindest thing for a deformed baby that would not hatch on its own. Your ducklings arent past due yet- so I wouldnt suggest anything just yet- maybe later in the day if there is still no sign of a pip after steady high humidity and misting. Did you take any notice of the size of the air cell in the last few days?? Would you say it takes up nearly 1/3 of the space inside the egg... or much smaller or bigger??/

Duckyfromoz--you have been so helpful! Yes, Beaker is a total character! She is crested. While I was thinking of naming her Jackie-O or Channel, my husband said she looked like Beaker from the Muppets. After that, I couldn't see her tuft as a sophisticated pill-box anymore.

The air cell was less than 1/3 2 days ago.

The eggs are barely wiggling anymore. I haven't heard much peeping either. Does this mean I should poke a hole now?
hit.gif

It so hard to know... Its so easy for me to sit here and say yeah..go on,,or no its too early - they arent my eggs- but you are the one sitting there watching them. Could it possibly be ...that after such a long time listening and watching...they just dont seem to be moving as much. I know at times I can sit there for ten minutes just to see one wobble- I blink...and think... was that a wobble..but I missed it.

Its day 27 now isnt it?? Still a day til they are officially due... If you open the incubator- you could risk the other four- but by checking one egg- you could also save them all- its really up to you and what you feel comfortable with doing. They wont have finished absorbing the yolk yet - so arent ready to actually come out of the egg - But a small hole into the air cell does not stop them going through the normal unzipping they will do when ready.

Today is day 28.

I just saw 2 of them slightly rock, but I'm not hearing any peeps.

It's a difficult decision. I hate this. The sun is coming up and I'm so tired.

I think I'll put a humidifier on in the guest bathroom (that's where the incubator, Bunsen, and Beaker are located) and go take a shower (in my bathroom). The humidifier is just for my own sense of security when I take an egg out. When I'm dressed, I'll try to poke a hole in one of the non-moving eggs.

Wow you and I are on the same exact page right now and boy is it nerve wracking!!! My little ones are due tomorrow (well, technically tonight but since they weren't put in until late I just called it the next day) and they've spent the last two days wobbling around here and there...no external pips and no peeps, well except the ones coming from me while I try to encourage them hehehe. I want to help them but I'm determined to wait until tomorrow...we'll see how long that lasts. I don't remember childbirth being quite this stressful if I do say so myself!!! Let us know what you decide to do and the outcome please please! I'm very interested...good luck and fingers crossed for us both!
fl.gif

Okay, my husband and I just poked holes in and peeled away shell and a bit of membrane away on all 5 eggs. Each duckling is still alive.

The membrane was white and tough. 2 of the ducklings started peeping loudly (one later on stuck out its tongue) after peeling away some membrane. I stopped when a little bit of bleeding started in each egg. The eggs were misted with water and put back in the incubator.

The incubator is at 80-85% humidity.

Now I just wait, right?

Last edited:
I am following this closely...

fl.gif

I am in the same boat..... I have 2 call duck eggs.

1 pipped Wed. night
1 pipped Thrus. morning.

Wed. egg is doing nothing...do I intervene????

Thrus egg is moving a tiny jiggle every now & then..

barnie.gif
What to do..........
barnie.gif

ETA: hatch due date Thrus. 3/3

Temp 97.5 - 98 Humiidty 75%

Last edited:
I first tried to use a very fine drill bit, but it didn't work for me. I then used a scrapbooking tool used to pierce paper. Both tools were were very sharp since they were brand new.

How are they doing now?
My husband wants to help them right now but we compromised, if there is no progress when he gets home tonight we're going to do what you did.

Back
Top Bottom