New eggs!

Snozzle

Songster
8 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Tri-Cities Tennessee
Ok so I guess I'm hooked on chickens mand have become an egghead. I bought a larger coop for my guys, we were going to build a better one, but I got a display model that only needs some paint for the same price I was going to pay for the materials. Since there is extra room now I can add chickens. I am getting 2 or 3 eggs each of blue laced red wyandotte, ameraucana and black copper marans that I will hatch in the incubator unless miss Emily would like to help me with 2 or 3 of them and be a surrogate mom. I am so excited, hopefully all goes well, I have hatched ducks and chickens successfully in there twice, but this last time this past fall something went wrong with the power and I lost the eggs in their second week. I will post pictures of the progress.
wee.gif

Oh and pst don't tell my boyfriend that there are more coming, he doesn't count them lol

What breeds are you getting?
I originally just wanted to stick with silkies, but the more breeds I get to learn about and what makes them special the more I want to try other breeds too. I will be cooking and baking with the eggs and I would like to see if the taste differenciates by breed. I will keep my main man, Rupert the silkie roo, he is very sweet and good to the hens, so if there are babies hatched from my hens they will all be silkie mixes. So if all works as planned I will get every color egg there is.

I have silkie eggs in the bator now due on the 23rd!!
fl.gif
Incubating is so addicting to me!! Then the 24th I am setting more eggs for a Valentines day hatch, can't wait!!

What breeds are you getting?
I originally just wanted to stick with silkies, but the more breeds I get to learn about and what makes them special the more I want to try other breeds too. I will be cooking and baking with the eggs and I would like to see if the taste differenciates by breed. I will keep my main man, Rupert the silkie roo, he is very sweet and good to the hens, so if there are babies hatched from my hens they will all be silkie mixes. So if all works as planned I will get every color egg there is.

I have buff silkies and black astralorpes. I want to get different color silkies ! I think they are cute and friendly !!

Welsummers lay a dark terracotta egg with speckles
hugs.gif
love.gif
. There are a lot of different colors of the marans though. Barnevelders and Penedesencas lay a dark egg as well
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif

cool ! I hope to have those someday !!!! I just gotta learn how to hatch mine first. Still not sure If I will have chickies, but keeping my hopes up ! its taking me forever to wait for them !!
gig.gif
(Jan 28th)

Welsummers lay a dark terracotta egg with speckles
hugs.gif
love.gif
. There are a lot of different colors of the marans though. Barnevelders and Penedesencas lay a dark egg as well
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Disaster! I added a humidity gauge and an egg turner to my incubator, because I have such limited time that I wasn't sure if I could turn these guys on a regular basis. I monitored the temperature for about 3 hours with the thermometer higher up, due to the eggs being positioned higher now. It stabilized just fine at 99.5 with no further fluctuations. This morning I get up and look inside and the thermometer is at 102 with humidity around 65%. So I did what I could to get it back down hoping that since it was so early into the incubation and only for a few hours they have survived. I wanted to add the turner sooner, but all the stores I could get to near me where out of them, so I had to wait until yesterday to get one and the eggs got here sooner then it did. I will find out in a few days if they are ok when I candle them
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom