New Emu mom!

Kikicounihan

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 27, 2012
Hi everyone! I’ve owned ducks and chickens and goats and a pot belly pig but FINALLY got my first Emu yesterday. There weren’t two available unfortunately, so I’m raising him inside right with with 4 baby chicken friends. He is with us a lot as well. He is two weeks old and although I’ve done a lot of research, I’m still nervous to make mistakes, so any and all suggestions are welcome! (Except for saying we should I have two, because I would have if it was possible to find a second, but down the line 😊)

My main concerns are - how do I know he’s eating enough and getting enough exercise and run time? But will take any other advice! Thank you! Baby emu
IMG_2840.jpeg
IMG_2846.jpeg
photos attached for cuteness 🥰

What are you feeding? Mine at that age did not eat a ton but you will start noticing soon a increase I'm appetite as he grows. They grow so fast and I feel like I'm always running out of food in my brooder area for my 4. I just changed to a bigger clip on feeder because they'd get mad and knock them off when they emptied the other 3. I filled it up late last night and this morning it was empty at 9am.

As for run time right now I'd take him on some short walks to stretch his legs. Flat ground with grass, enclosed so he doesn't get spooked and run.

Non-slip flooring. Exercise in all weathers.

'how do I know he’s eating enough?' If the chick is healthy, it will be on auto-pilot to stuff itself. In the wild, they graze from (literal) dawn to (literal) dusk.

Chicks and adults find any food simply Yummy or not. So you can try them with all manner of foods. Frest fruit, dried fruit, any wholemeal grain products, chopped vegies. If it's 'Yummy,' they'll scoff it down.

Supreme Emu

Below is the legendary Eric the Emu with Uno Chick. Uno and Alpha and Omega -- a later clutch -- were observed at length. This is actually the first time Uno vistied my place. She is getting wheat and chopped dates.

Attachments

• IMG_20141113_170533.jpg
    IMG_20141113_170533.jpg
    921.3 KB · Views: 24
Thank you everyone! So far, he’s doing well. I have him on mushed kale, scrambled eggs, mealworms and a mix of emu starter grain and chick starter. He’s growing and so darn cute. I have attached a photo of his inside pen which gives him plenty of room to move and then we go outside to run in the enclosed acre pen where the goats and piggy and other birds leave (keeping him away from them.) He loves his emu zoomie time.

Now I’m having a worry though because he pulled at one of my earrings outside when I was carrying him and I can’t tell if he threw it or swallowed it. I know this could be deadly so I’m panicking. He’s acting ok so far but I know symptoms wouldn’t show right away. I just wasn’t thinking for a minute and couldn’t believe he plucked it out.

Hi everyone! I’ve owned ducks and chickens and goats and a pot belly pig but FINALLY got my first Emu yesterday. There weren’t two available unfortunately, so I’m raising him inside right with with 4 baby chicken friends. He is with us a lot as well. He is two weeks old and although I’ve done a lot of research, I’m still nervous to make mistakes, so any and all suggestions are welcome! (Except for saying we should I have two, because I would have if it was possible to find a second, but down the line 😊)

My main concerns are - how do I know he’s eating enough and getting enough exercise and run time? But will take any other advice! Thank you! Baby emu View attachment 3537704View attachment 3537705photos attached for cuteness 🥰
My recommendation is to give him access to food and water as much as possible. Emus have a tendency to knock over their bowls though, so either attach it to something steady or watch it while it eats. If the emu chick is healthy, it should eat and drink as much as it needs. We feed our a mix of ratite pellets and chicken feed (mostly corn). Most importantly is allowing it access to the outdoors so it can graze on vegetation. At a young age they have not learned this yet, so break of tiny pieces of greens and vegetables to feed him. Kevin went through a snap pea phase when he was younger, and both him and Karl currently love broccoli and dandilion greens.
Try and take him on short walks if you have a safe place to do so! Young emus will follow you great.
Sunshine is also very important. We don’t give our emus any vitamins anymore and they are both healthy thanks to being exposed to the outdoors. And of course do not put on slippery surfaces or allow too close to roads. Our emus developed a bad habit of chasing cars, and even ran right into the side of one once. (Both emu and car are fine)

Attachments

• 666DEA01-6D69-41F1-9C80-2F8C1FF83E32.jpeg
    666DEA01-6D69-41F1-9C80-2F8C1FF83E32.jpeg
    975.4 KB · Views: 16
  • EA32CEBF-0FC1-48C0-84C4-44414B54DE22.jpeg
    EA32CEBF-0FC1-48C0-84C4-44414B54DE22.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom