New Enclosure and Biting?

Oh no! They had gotten her from family friends that had seen her(him?) wandering the neighborhood for quite a while. I helped them see if anyone nearby was her owner and they put up an ad about a found chicken that nobody responded to. When they knew they couldn't keep her, they gave her to my neighbors who already had a large flock. I think the reason why she was left with me was because they were almost overcrowded by that time. She came to me with some plucked feathers. (I'm glad they were moving to a bigger property! It would be terrible to put her under the stress of being stuck with a huge flock on an hour-long move! Not that leaving her with a clueless me is any better. Some experience counts, right?) Okay okay okay... just waiting for the kids to GET OFF THE DARN PHONE SO I CAN GET THE PICTURES!!!

I'm glad you knew them well, that makes it highly unlikely that you were intentionally misled about the gender of the bird. Still doesn't rule out the chance of the little one being a male. Once the gender is confirmed, I've got some advise for training her (fingers crossed) to quit the pecking, but the strategy is very different for pullets or cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom