New farm build book by Joel Salatin

CaroleW

Crossing the Road
12 Years
May 13, 2011
AZ
I thought maybe some of you would like to know there's a new book -- Polyface Designs: A Comprehensive Construction Guide for Scalable Farming Infrastructure , by Joel Salatin. It has tons of building projects for animal shelters and much more with cut list/material list. Joel is the author of Pastured Poultry and Salad Bar Beef, You Can Farm...etc.
You might still be able to order a copy from https://homesteadersofamerica.com/product/polyface-designs/
I should get mine by Christmas--they already sold out the first printing of 5K copies. Price is $80-90 so not inexpensive but worth it for detailed plans to all this stuff if you are a farm builder.

I first heard of Polyface Farms in Michael Pollan's book, "The Omnivore's Dilemma." I was VERY impressed with Joel Salatin from what I read in that book.

@CaroleW you have presumably had the book for a month and a half. How do you like it? Does it meet your expectations? thanks
I got it a couple weeks ago - so just getting into it now. Yes it exceeds expectations, the only downfall I see is no index. So as I go thru it I flag smaller sub-projects that I find that will probably be first on my list to build since they are smaller & easier to implement.

Example: self-closing access door and feed storage bin with cover - these are super easy to implement for anyone but it is just a tip under the Hoop House - not in the Table of Contents.

It gives a lot of different infrastructure ideas (and WHY you might want to do them) and layout ideas that I haven't seen before like shademobile and in-depth hoop house layout if you subdivide for different animals or if you stack animals like in the "raken". Very well done instruction - step by step (almost too explanatory if you have any carpentry know-how). So you should not have many questions on how to do a project if you just keep your place with a sticky note.

Just flipping thru some projects should give you some ideas on how to improve your own existing infrastructure if your mind works that way.

I got it a couple weeks ago - so just getting into it now. Yes it exceeds expectations, the only downfall I see is no index. So as I go thru it I flag smaller sub-projects that I find that will probably be first on my list to build since they are smaller & easier to implement.

Example: self-closing access door and feed storage bin with cover - these are super easy to implement for anyone but it is just a tip under the Hoop House - not in the Table of Contents.

It gives a lot of different infrastructure ideas (and WHY you might want to do them) and layout ideas that I haven't seen before like shademobile and in-depth hoop house layout if you subdivide for different animals or if you stack animals like in the "raken". Very well done instruction - step by step (almost too explanatory if you have any carpentry know-how). So you should not have many questions on how to do a project if you just keep your place with a sticky note.

Just flipping thru some projects should give you some ideas on how to improve your own existing infrastructure if your mind works that way.
Thank You

Back
Top Bottom