New Feather Friend

Hello, I have had my feather babies for almost a year now. I am still trying to learn all I can about chickens. Spring is in the air and right now I am wondering when hens start sitting on their eggs to become new moms. I really want my hens to raise their own chicks but I don't have a clue what to expect or what to do, if anything??? I have 2 hens, Pepper and Dottie and I have 1 rooster, Blackjack. Each one of them have their own personality...I love watching them run around the yard when I let them out to free range and they will come to me when I call them, they are a joy. If anyone can give me some pointers about my hens becoming new mommies, it would be great.

Thanks
Good luck! 🐣🐔🐓🥚

My chickens came from a broody hen, does that make a difference? I got my feather babies from a person (that was a friend) so I don't know what kind of chickens I have??
You can double check what breed your chickens are by posting pictures of them in the What breed/What gender forum here. To me, they look like barred Plymouth Rocks or else Dominiques. But I am far from an expert at identifying chicken breeds. This list of breeds says that Plymouth Rocks rarely go broody, while Dominiques are average in their broodiness. But they may be another breed, or just broody Plymouth Rocks. I am coming to the opinion that it's better for the chickens to be brooded and raised by a mother hen. I have not yet been able to do that, and may never, but just the more I read, the better it seems for the birds.

Welcome. Blackjack is a really cool name for a rooster. Get a few silkies. They love to be broody.
Thanks...here is a picture of Blackjack
7953270-e910c30fcd6e4fd79767d6a4f0e336f0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom