New feeder, didn't go so great.

Jsto

Songster
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
North Carolina
I just bought a new feeder and waterer at TSC so I could stop having to haul the coop feeders in and out every day. I picked up the standard galvanized steel ones, which I've seen many people using on here.

Well, I just went to put the feeder in and everything seemed to be going fine until I heard this atrocious honking. I look over and it looks like my SLW has gotten caught somehow. By the time I got into the run, she had freed herself (this only went on for a matter of seconds), but it looked like she had caught her beak on something down in where the feed is dispensed. I checked her out, no blood, nothing seemingly wrong with her. She looked fine, acted fine, all seemed peachy. I grabbed that feeder out of there faster than someone can say 'pinched beak.'

I looked and couldn't find anything she could get caught on, so I'm thinking maybe she got her beak wedged under where the food comes out. Anyone else have these issues? I'm wondering if maybe it was just a one off from my most curious pullet, digging her face in to check out the new giant silver thing. I just don't want something in with them that could cause harm.

This is the feeder, although mine looks a teensy bit different: http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=8&paID=1039&sonID=218&page=1&productID=25286 .

Like I said, I didn't see anything sharp or sticking out within the feeder that should could have possibly been stuck on, but I imagine if her beak was caught underneath and she twisted wrong in her panic to get out, she could do damage to herself.

Help!

I have those feeders and have never had a problem. You might want to get the hanging lids so your girls don't poop in the top of the feed.

Was there feed in it? I've never had any problem with mine, and I have 3 just about like that. But if it was empty, since you'd just put it in, maybe she was fishing under when the feed comes out to see what she could find. If this is the case, just fill it up and put it back. It should be fine. I'm so glad your girl is ok!

I don't have an answer to your question, but thanks for the link. I just discovered I have a Tractor Supply about 10 minutes from my house!
ya.gif

It was completely full before it even went anywhere near the chickens.
idunno.gif

Like I mentioned before, it was Elvira who is my most daring and curious pullet. I looked and found absolutely nothing that looked like it could have caught her, so my only thought is that since it was new, she dug her head in and maybe just hit it at the wrong angle or something.

It has what looks like an adjustable feed leveler, so maybe something wasn't right there. Still, I think if it was something like that, she would have come out of it with a wound. I think her curiousity and beak were the culprit.

Scared the daylights out of me, I can tell ya'll that much!! Thanks for the testimonials though, makes me feel quite a bit better.

Quote:
Probably got her head under one of the wires that connect the tube to the base. I've seen that happen occassionally. The bird pulls their head out shortly, and no harm done.

I'd continue to use the feeder.

My worse problem with that type of feeder is birds perching on the top rim, pooping into the feed in the center. That actually can become quite a problem.

Jsto...im sorry your hen had that happen. I am sure I would hae freaked out as well. Im sure it is just one of those freak accidents that happens. If you can get a plastic trash can lid.....put a hole in the center and use it to cover the feeder. Being plastic, and sort of rounded, this will stop them from roosting on top.

I have one similar to that except mine can adjust to 3 different levels so you control how much food slips down into the tray. Maybe something like that would work better for you.

Thanks guys! I was definitely planning on constructing an anti-poop/anti-roost thing...the ideas are good.

I have decided to go ahead and put it back in. Minutes after posting last in here, I was looking at the thing and realised that the feed leveler was at different levels! So there was a large gap for the food to come out on one side and a much smaller space on the other. My thought it that she may have gotten her beek wedged in the small space because she's used to being able to get her beak up there.

Mamading: that's the very one I have! It had just gone wonky
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom