1. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    here are some new finches I got today. They were a free cragslist find. Supposed to be four females and two males.
    [​IMG]
    I love societys but have never had good luck raising them. Everyone else says they are easy so I am going to try again.
    Will two extra hens be a problem or will the two males take care of all four hens? Need some breeding pointers.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, Society finches! I've had them, and they breed like little mice! The trick is, you need to put them in a room where it's not noisy, and is very private. It's got to have lots of light, and be warm. They will breed breed breed!

3. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I dont believe they breed like mice id had zebras that had one clutch and never had any more. Are you sure their not related?

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    The zebra finches I had years ago raised several batches of little ones. (Please don't be so literal.)

5. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:My Zebras breed like crazy!! My societies crossed with them too, but not with each other [​IMG] We like to get more society but nobody around here has them.I am looking for black cheeked zebras as well.

6. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Quote:My Zebras breed like crazy!! My societies crossed with them too, but not with each other [​IMG] We like to get more society but nobody around here has them.I am looking for black cheeked zebras as well.

Maybe mine were so inbred that they couldn't breed. [​IMG]
    I don't have finches anymore got rid of them. To small for my liking. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by