New flock and leg injuries!

ChxLadyCass

Songster
6 Years
Mar 2, 2017
La Junta, CO
I just bought a flock of 10 hens of some production breed from my brother in law and am kind of regretting it! I know basically nothing about their lives up to know, but they're kind of struggling.

My main issue is I had one hen limping and laying down a lot yesterday. Today, that hen seems fine, but a different one is limping! Any idea what could be causing them to limp one day and not another??

Here's what I can tell you about them!
I have had them for one week as of today. They came looking VERY rough. Feather picked so bad that many of them have bald spots. They immediately pecked one of their flock mates to death. They are said to be about a year old. I don't see any signs of bumble foot or injury, just limping. They aren't roosting! I will try a ladder to their roosts to see if that helps. They huddle in a corner of their coop.

They are quarantined in a large dog house and kennel as their coop.
Coop is 4'x7'
Kennel run is about 4'x9', and yesterday I added a 6'x8' run off the side for additional space.
The coop has a dirt/grassy floor.
I don't see any signs of mites or lice on them.
5C082B45-343C-4DCA-9229-FFFAEB378011.jpeg
15D3A013-1640-4141-B45B-AC2AFA794C95.jpeg
10A56110-554F-4F8E-8842-33F1F4ECD473.jpeg

Last edited:
They do look pretty rough. Sex link hens tend to need a higher protein ration due to their higher production. I might switch to a ration with around 20% protein. They also need more room, especially for the run or you may continue to see aggression. Chickens will peck from deficiencies and crowding.

The limping could be many things. How high up is the roost? Sometimes hard landings or jumping about can cause slight sprains. If they are currently laying sometimes large eggs can press on nerves and cause some leg issues until the egg is laid. Some poultry in general can be stiff after laying down for extended periods of time, so if they aren't roosting that may cause some short term stiffness.

If birds are carrying the disease mareks sometimes stress can set it off and cause issues. So keep an eye out for total paralysis with splayed legs.

They do look pretty rough. Sex link hens tend to need a higher protein ration due to their higher production. I might switch to a ration with around 20% protein. They also need more room, especially for the run or you may continue to see aggression. Chickens will peck from deficiencies and crowding.

The limping could be many things. How high up is the roost? Sometimes hard landings or jumping about can cause slight sprains. If they are currently laying sometimes large eggs can press on nerves and cause some leg issues until the egg is laid. Some poultry in general can be stiff after laying down for extended periods of time, so if they aren't roosting that may cause some short term stiffness.

If birds are carrying the disease mareks sometimes stress can set it off and cause issues. So keep an eye out for total paralysis with splayed legs.
Thank you for the reply! I ended up going on a Mareks research rabbit hole and I had no idea what it was!!! I will for sure be getting vaccinated chicks/hens from now on.
I was hoping their updated, almost 10'x10' run might be enough to get them through quarantine, but I can get creative. I will keep an eye out for those things!

Mareks can be scary, but sometimes it isn't always the end of a flock. It can be everywhere. Being blown in on the wind or brought in by wild birds. We can't always avoid it. I've seen it a few times here. We culled affected birds after it was obvious they were not going to improve.

There are different strains. Some worse than others. I don't think anyone can totally avoid it. Vaccinated birds can still carry mareks and some still succumb to it even though they are vaccinated.

The best you can do is keeps stress low, and remove sick acting birds from your flock ASAP.

Mareks can be scary, but sometimes it isn't always the end of a flock. It can be everywhere. Being blown in on the wind or brought in by wild birds. We can't always avoid it. I've seen it a few times here. We culled affected birds after it was obvious they were not going to improve.

There are different strains. Some worse than others. I don't think anyone can totally avoid it. Vaccinated birds can still carry mareks and some still succumb to it even though they are vaccinated.

The best you can do is keeps stress low, and remove sick acting birds from your flock ASAP.
Really helpful info!! I think I just had a hen die from Mareks. She moved very slow, had the dehydrated comb, and the very end wouldn't eat. It was sad!
E30BBF3C-1908-4ACD-AA93-35FE8A816BD0.jpeg 3AB8E724-B1E6-4D82-AFE1-2E8637F22CBF.jpeg

Years ago my Mother purchased 1 dozen spent leghorn hens from a factory farm.
These hens had never stood on dirt, never been in sunshine out outside. Did not know how to roost, walk, scratch or dust bathe. And were severely feather pecked.
I dont think my Mother was prepared for this reality, and immediately burst into tears and butchered them.
You don't know anything about these girls. I'm thinking quarantining is a must. Also feather picking to the point of cannibalism is not uncommon in tightly confined flocks and you may have already seen you have this problem.
I recommend giving these girls lots of room, things to do (explore and scratch ), and a low roost bar to start with.
Also a lifetime on processed feed they wont have grit in there gizzards to handle anything except that, Fully processed mash or crumble)
Dont feed corn or scratch to these girls until they have figured out gravel and grit and can handle real food.
I adopted 6 girls myself a few years ago and I feather picker in the bargain. I used blinders for 6 weeks and she forgot about it.
20181124_175531.jpg

I think I just had a hen die from Mareks.
The only way to now for sure is have a necrospy and lab testing done.
Would be good to know for sure.

Yes I do! I have 2 other flocks besides this new one. I have my established flock, my flock I added last year and now these girls. These new ones are on one side of our acre property and the others live on the other side.
Hopefully you are using all the preventative measures to ensure you are not carrying anything back to your other flocks.

Back
Top Bottom