New flock introductions

shmccarthy

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Michigan
I have had the pullets in my run, seperated from the adults for a couple weeks now. I've been letting them mingle, supervised. The hens and the pullets got along wonderfully! I let them all sleep together for the first time and there were no problems at all :)
I still don't fully trust my rooster around them so I keep him in his own separate part, while the hens and pullets get to mingle. I let him out with them this morning and he ignored them. So far so good, anyone else have stories/tips they want to share for introducing new flock members?

I found that my rooster ingnored the pullets when I started letting them free range togther.. I found my oldest hen was the meany to them:( she still chases them a bit even now.. I was more worried about my rooster when I introduced ducklings, cause he was quite vocal when they first went outside into thier own pin, but again he totally ignored them when I turned them out to free range, but some of my hens didn't like them and they chase them away from the food.. I once again have some young pullets in thier own little pin around a baby coop and plan on letting them out to free range next week... I'm hoping once again all will go smoothly (kind of worried as this patch has what I think is a rooster in this batch...

I have introduced my new pullets to an older flock and one mean old "oven stuffer roaster" won't let the young birds in the hen house at night. I'm thinking of giving the older hens the boot and locking the youngsters in so they begin to regard it as home. Any ideas? They've only been together about a week. Does it just take time? or do I need to act?

I have introduced my new pullets to an older flock and one mean old "oven stuffer roaster" won't let the young birds in the hen house at night. I'm thinking of giving the older hens the boot and locking the youngsters in so they begin to regard it as home. Any ideas? They've only been together about a week. Does it just take time? or do I need to act?

Back
Top Bottom