New from Africa

That's what it is. He came in like that and I thought that maybe he was shedding skin lol. I feel so bad now that I hadn't suspected something else. I was hoping that with bathing and massage it will come off ? Our first rooster had this too but soon after getting him his legs became smoother and smoother but this new male had a really bad case of these scabs. Hat can I do about this to help him ? Keep in mind that no vetinary care exists in this part of the country and there are no medications, commercial products.

Here is treatment for scaly leg mites.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/

That’s quite a selection you’ve got there. They’re in better condition than I expected. I know very little about the East coast of Africa.
On the West coast in Senegal the chickens live mainly on peanuts and cooked rice; it’s the staple diet of the humans. The locals will be able to tell you what the chickens eat from season to season. To improve their condition it’s often a case of increasing their protein intake. Given many people there have trouble feeding themselves let alone chickens you may find returning some of the eggs they lay the easiest way to improve their diet. Cooked rice is fine and better than corn.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens Naima!:welcomeWe are glad you joined the flock! BYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: It seems as if everyone as provided you a lot of information already. Good luck with your tours to various countries. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Wow this thread is teaching me more than I've learned anywhere else. I will definitely pick up a tub of Vaseline and start using that on him today. I do have coconut oil but it is very pricey here as it is brought in from other parts of Africa. Then on I'll put it on once weekly ? In regards to Vaseline it isn't something that I would ever use for myself or family...due to the chemicals, would olive oil be a better alternative ? I will also check out the link provided and now that I know what this is, see what I can find.

The whole range of breed possibilities and history to it is fascinating. Pretty cool. I will look up each of the breeds mentioned to see the comparisons. So many cool variations outside my gate just foraging and returning to their homes by sundown. I would love leghorns for their egg production, and will look into that a bit more. So much to learn.

They eat a large variety...thankfully we can feed them a bit more and what they don't end up eating goes to the local goats who wait at the door trying to run in when someone goes out lol. Nothing is wasted. I do scramble an egg for them here and there at times, but stopped with giving them grounded eggshells because I had a problem for a period with them breaking and eating the eggs meant for hatching. We still at times have eggs disappearing but it's now occasional so from what I've read is not to give them eggshells ?

The whole range of breed possibilities and history to it is fascinating. Pretty cool. I will look up each of the breeds mentioned to see the comparisons. So many cool variations outside my gate just foraging and returning to their homes by sundown. I would love leghorns for their egg production, and will look into that a bit more. So much to learn.
A mistake that was made here was to import breed from outside the region. There is a local breed here and still more in the rest of Spain.
The local breed had evolved to deal with the climate and the usual keeping conditions. I would stick with the local breeds you have, particularly given you write you intend to travel on.
I don’t think the large breeds often found in the US will do well in the local environment. Part of the advantage of the local breeds is they can survive on what they can forage to a greater of lesser extent.
My advice when reading the advice you receive here is to bear in mind that this is an American site and while the US is large enough to cover many climate variations it isn’t Africa and much of what you read here just isn’t relevant to your situation.
Talk to the local people who have been keeping chickens there for generations and who will know a great deal more about what works and what doesn’t.

A mistake that was made here was to import breed from outside the region. There is a local breed here and still more in the rest of Spain.
The local breed had evolved to deal with the climate and the usual keeping conditions. I would stick with the local breeds you have, particularly given you write you intend to travel on.
I don’t think the large breeds often found in the US will do well in the local environment. Part of the advantage of the local breeds is they can survive on what they can forage to a greater of lesser extent.
My advice when reading the advice you receive here is to bear in mind that this is an American site and while the US is large enough to cover many climate variations it isn’t Africa and much of what you read here just isn’t relevant to your situation.
Talk to the local people who have been keeping chickens there for generations and who will know a great deal more about what works and what doesn’t.
That's why, if you read my post, you would notice I specifically did not mention American or Asian breeds. I also did not recommend typical American treatments.
I am aware you are addressing everyone on this thread who gave advice.
I may live in America, but I intend to move to the East Coast of Africa. I know African culture, geography and climate like the back of my hand.
(So much so, I could even identify which specific city in a specific African country that Porkpie lives in without being told any more than he lived in Africa near the equator.)
I actually suggested specifically Egyptian breeds and European breeds influence. I didn't tell her to import any.

Back
Top Bottom