1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New from Columbia SC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicaschicks, Feb 25, 2014.

1. chicaschicks

chicaschicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I have a question... I just purchased 3 RIR's 6-7 months old and 3 Barred Rocks same age. We acquired them Saturday night, 3 days ago. How long should it take for them to produce eggs? I know they are stressed from their move and all. I kept them on their same food as the person who raised them. And advice?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

It takes some time for new birds to get used to their new digs before they start laying. Just move slowly around the birds, make them comfortable, keep fake eggs in the nest boxes and just give them some time. Some birds will respond quick and lay in a couple weeks, some may take several weeks. They should come around soon.

Good luck with your new flock and enjoy BYC!

3. chicaschicks

Feb 24, 2014
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Fake egg? Like a plastic Easter egg? Should I add any supplemental lighting?

4. hungnguyen

hungnguyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2013
    Welcome to this website.

About fake eggs, the plastic Easter Eggs are cheap but not really look like the real eggs so some hens may not react. I went to the feed store here in Texas and bought a few real fake eggs, they are $1.5 each and came in as White or Brown.. looked very real. I put in the nest to serve 2 purpose... first, to trigger some hens to start laying... second, to discourage some hens that like to eat their eggs. I pencil marked the egg "X", so I can later remove them from the nest when it is full.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

This time of year, when the days are lengthening, adding light should not be necessary. Sometimes the stress of moving will cause birds to stop laying for a time, but that varies with different birds. Some will molt, and not lay again until they are done. My best advice would be - Patience!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC!

8. chicaschicks

Feb 24, 2014
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Thank you all for the advice. I have patience, my husband on the other hand ... Well... Not so much. Wish me luck ;)

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

Sounds like you are getting a lot of good advice here [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by