New from Columbia SC

chicaschicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Columbia, South Carolina
I have a question... I just purchased 3 RIR's 6-7 months old and 3 Barred Rocks same age. We acquired them Saturday night, 3 days ago. How long should it take for them to produce eggs? I know they are stressed from their move and all. I kept them on their same food as the person who raised them. And advice?

images

It takes some time for new birds to get used to their new digs before they start laying. Just move slowly around the birds, make them comfortable, keep fake eggs in the nest boxes and just give them some time. Some birds will respond quick and lay in a couple weeks, some may take several weeks. They should come around soon.

Good luck with your new flock and enjoy BYC!

Welcome to this website.

About fake eggs, the plastic Easter Eggs are cheap but not really look like the real eggs so some hens may not react. I went to the feed store here in Texas and bought a few real fake eggs, they are $1.5 each and came in as White or Brown.. looked very real. I put in the nest to serve 2 purpose... first, to trigger some hens to start laying... second, to discourage some hens that like to eat their eggs. I pencil marked the egg "X", so I can later remove them from the nest when it is full.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

This time of year, when the days are lengthening, adding light should not be necessary. Sometimes the stress of moving will cause birds to stop laying for a time, but that varies with different birds. Some will molt, and not lay again until they are done. My best advice would be - Patience!

Back
Top Bottom