New from East Texas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LoriAnn, Dec 26, 2012.

1. LoriAnn

LoriAnn New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    Hi everyone! My name is Lori and I live outside of Pittsburg, TX. I am completely new to chickens. My in-laws are the ones living with the chickens right now, but my husband and I brooded them until they were ready for the coop. We all (extended family) have a kind-of family farm, so the chickens belong to all of us. We have 24 Rhode Island Reds. They are so wonderful! (although I don't have any other breeds to compare with). I spent a lot of hours with them when we were brooding them, holding them, petting them, and talking to them. Now my MIL says they come immediately when she calls. We lock them in the coop at night, and let them out into their run during the day. When we're out working in the garden or expanding the coop, we let them free range. They are so much fun!! I can't wait to get more.

I found this website through Pintrest (another website in which I love!)

I am a stay-at-home mom, to two kindergarteners and a fourth grader. I love to organize, although I'm not very good at it. I'm trying to learn how to cook. I would love to learn how to sew. And of course we are always looking for ways to expand the farm. You'd think after 15 years of marriage I would be better at some of this stuff, but I was in the Army for most of it, and didn't have time to learn.

I have a husband, 3 kids, 1 cat, 1 lizard, and 24 chickens. I have a feeling I am just at the beginning of the best part of my life!!

Lori

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. LovePolish2

LovePolish2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Missouri
    Welcome from Missouri! :)

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sewing and cooking is fun and you'll get the hang of in no time. I hated sewing and never learned to do it properly, then the quilting bug got me and I now make quilts and enjoy it! I never thought spending hours and hours with a needle and thread could be so much fun. For cooking, just hang out in the kitchen with someone (maybe MIL) and watch. You'll learn a lot just by watching people cook. That's how I learned, by watching my mom in the kitchen. Enjoy!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Lori, and [​IMG]! So great to have you with us! Sounds like you have a full and busy life. Best of luck to you with your chickens and have a great New Year!!

7. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio!!!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Glad that you are here. Been married 48 years and still trying to get things right. The Princess says that I am a work in progress.

9. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    [​IMG]
    Glad you're here!

10. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    LoriAnn (what a cute name.). Hello from Missouri!! [​IMG] Glad you are here....Once you join BYC you have a family of ppl who wont be bored (like some )when you talk" chicken" we ALL understand. YES there are many breeds and sizes colors and i am sure very soon you will fall in love with some and HAVE to have them!! GOOD LUCk in your chicken adventure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by