New from Jacksonville NC

welcome-byc.gif
from Michigan. Glad you joined us.

Thanks all for the welcomes.

Quick update I've pretty much got the wife on board and I'm putting together a rough price assesment for getting the chicks and building the coop. Maybe you all can see if I'm being realistic with my estimate or if I'm missing anything.

I'm looking at geting 3 Buff Orpington which with shipping will run me somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-60 with the Mareks vacination
I've got plenty of items around my house i can convert to a brooder so thats free, warming lamp, water/food feeders and starter feed tack on another 20-30
For the coop I'm figuring around 150-200 to make it myself based off of some of the plans I'm seeing around the internet possibly as high as 300.
Not really sure how much to figure into a monthly cost for food once they are bigger but I'm still in the planning phase.

Did I miss anything with the beginning phase - getting the chicks and getting them on their way?

As a newbie myself, welcome on board to BYC.

At the moment my daughter and her family lives in Onslow County NC and my granddaughter has chickens.

I think they got them from Tractor Supply in Jacksonville.

They are Leghorns and Red Stars.

The white ones run the cats off the back porch when they get out of the coop, is what I am told.

Well its good to know I have some other individuals raising chickens around me that I might be able to reach out to. I went to the tractor supply and they aren't sure if they are going to do the chicken run this year which is a shame as that would have been much cheaper than having them shipped to me.

Well after getting the wife to do her own research not only has she agreed she even helped pick out a spot for the coop. Not only that she is even ok with me starting a meal worm farm. And so it begins.

Any hints on getting the wife on board?

As it looks now I would get my chicks in either February or March and going off the guide they would be indoors for about 20 weeks or so which puts it out to June July time frame before they would get moved to the Coop which would give me more than enough time between now and when the chicks get here to solidify the plan for the coop and get all the necessary equipment and food. I would also have plenty of time to build it (even with my current schedule)

I have a few coop plans in mind just need to decide which one will work best.

seeing all the fuzzy butts is all it took to get mine involved and getting her a few silkies and polishes helped too!

Back
Top Bottom