New from Jacksonville NC

Well its good to know I have some other individuals raising chickens around me that I might be able to reach out to. I went to the tractor supply and they aren't sure if they are going to do the chicken run this year which is a shame as that would have been much cheaper than having them shipped to me.

if you find the North Carolina section in the Where Am I Where Are You section, you may find some breeders nearby!

Hi Brian!
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us!

Welcome to BYC.

Chickens can be easy, and sometimes hard. Roosters can be loud and be annoying. As for the dogs, you just might be able to train them not to attack the hens.

Just make sure that your new flock has clean food and water. Exercise and free-range is also a must!

~AnnElise

Well after getting the wife on board she used her super internet ninja search skills and found a local breeder (relativly local anyways) I spoke with the breeder and they will have buff orpingtons ready for pick up on the 3rd. So my wife and I will be heading up there and getting 4 chicks.

Well after getting the wife on board she used her super internet ninja search skills and found a local breeder (relativly local anyways) I spoke with the breeder and they will have buff orpingtons ready for pick up on the 3rd. So my wife and I will be heading up there and getting 4 chicks.

Cool.

You're now in the Barn Yard Avian Business.

Ok so went and picked up (4) Buff Orpington's. It was a little bit of a drive to the "farm" 2 to 2 1/2 hours just outside of Raleigh, we took all three of our children (ohhh joy). once we got there it was a blast, the owners took us on a quick little tour of his "farm" (I keep putting it in quotes because it wasn't the standard farm) the kids had a blast we saw all kinds of chickens, goats and just about every other feathered bird. We cruzed home as quickly as we could and put them into the brooder. The chickens quickly took to the food and water and we have been watching them play keep away with just about anything they can fit in their beaks. Had one chick who had a ton off poop caked on her butt so following some advice on pasty butt on this forum we quickly took care of it (although I'm sure she thought we took forever). I can't tell you how much fun we have already had with these little girls. We did have to put a steel grate of sorts over our brooder box to keep the dogs out. I also made a makeshift brooder lamp holder out of PVC. Who knows maybe I'll post some photo's here in a little bit. Right now the chicks are all nice and comfy sleeping.

Congrats on your new girls!! I'm also from Jacksonville NC. Tractor supply IS going to be having chick days this year (next week most likely) and the Pumpkin Center will have chicks in march as well. (if you by chance want to get a few more.) If you are anything like me you WILL want more. Especially once you start getting all those yummy fresh eggs. There is nothing better than collecting eggs, still warm from the hens, and preparing breakfast for your family with them. <3

The only fear of getting chicks from TSC - they're straight run. You get what you get. We are located in Johnston County and are lucky enough to have several breeders, an auction and a farm supply store to purchase females from. We currently have 25 (we started with 5) and are looking to expand (oh joy!). That's on top of our 8 pigs, 4 cows, goat, turkey, dog, cat and 3 human children. Good luck with your girls!

Back
Top Bottom