New from Kitsap Peninsula

CarolynF

Crowing
11 Years
May 11, 2011
Puget Sound
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, just wanted to say I love this site and just joined! In case you aren't familiar with Kitsap Peninsula, it's in western Washington, across puget sound from Seattle.

I've wanted chickens for about 30 years, and now we're finally doing it! We're building the coop now and like everyone else I have questions. I've already found the answers for many, others I'm still researching. First, can anyone tell me if a Black Sex Link is just another name for a Star Black. Since I'm going to have an VERY small flock I'd like to get the right hens. I'll probably have only two (maybe three). I'd love to have an Easter Egger (for shell color) and a Star. As I understand it neither breed is overly large, they lay frequently, lay large eggs, and have good dispositions. A Rhode Island Red would be my second choice in place of the Star.

Second, my coup is quite small, about 10 sq. ft. and only 3 ft. of interior height. I know the perch should be about 16 - 18 inches above the floor and should also be noticeably higher than the nest box, which brings me to this question.... Must I actually use an enclosed box, or can it just be something like a pan with no lid? If if must be a lidded box can it be rather short like 12"? Or, if I make it taller with a slanted lid would that be acceptable, say 16" at the back and 13" in the front? Whatever I end up with, it will be sitting on the floor.

I think I'll post these questions elsewhere, too, for more exposure. So please don't bother answering twice if you see it again! :) Thanks for your ideas!

welcome-byc.gif
from CA!!! So glad you joined, and you will be so happy here on BYC!!!
hugs.gif
frow.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC!

You can used kitty litter pans... I have seen many people use these... It does not have to have a top on it, but the top encourages the hens to go broody to raise you some nice baby chicks... Depends on what your needs are, I guess...

Again...
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

Welcome, Caroline!
celebrate.gif

I'm on the eastside of that Puget Sound "Lake". I'll be visiting in your neck of the woods soon.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

(Psst, watch out for all the crazy chicken ladies here. They seem to outnumber the crazy chicken gentlemen.)

Hello from Oregon and welcome to BYC! Black Star is another name for Black Sex Link, which is a hybrid layer. I adore my Black Stars. They matured quickly, are fantastic layers, rather small bodied but lay large eggs, and they're so friendly and sweet!

As for nesting boxes, I'm sure you'll hear myriad opinions... When we built our new coop, we had nesting boxes just a few inches off the coop floor for awhile and our girls grew nervous and stopped laying. When we raised them up, they began laying again. I've found, for our girls, the best height is about 18" off the ground They also prefer a rather small, dark space with sides and a top. We use 12x12 cubes. I haven't had any problems with them sitting or attempting to roost on top of their boxes, but they have numerous roosts to choose from. The problem with low sides on a nest is that the hens will sit on the edge and poop in the box, which makes for icky eggs.

When it comes to roosting, my girls seem much happier roosting higher. The highest perch in our barn coop is 6 feet up and that's where they all prefer to be.

Earlier today, I met someone who has a large number of chickens and we discovered that we do pretty much EVERYTHING differently. She doesn't lock her hens up at night, they lay in straw on the floor of her coop, and they roost about 2" off the ground on bales of straw... There are as many ways of keeping chickens as there are people keeping them, it seems, and we all seem to think we're right! lol I try to keep a mind open to learn and I find that I am constantly learning and revising as I go along.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom