New from Kitsap Peninsula

Hi from NC
welcome-byc.gif

Hi! An open nest box is fine, A lot prefer covered to keep poop from dropping in, or the bump-out type to free up space in the coop, but whatever is "cozy" seems to work for the girls

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and the information! This is obviously a great place.

Katydid2011 -- I appreciate your info on the Black Star/Sex Link, they sound like exactly like what I want. I'm hoping to find one that's already laying or close to it. I'm not prepared to raise chicks! Sure wish I had a BARN, my space is SO tiny, but I'm happy for even that since I get some chickens! Clean eggs sound much better than icky ones, so I think I'll try an enclosed box. If yours are happy in 12x12x12 (and I've seen a couple others say the same) then 12" high sounds ok. BTW my hubby is from Oregon, we go to Portland fairly often to visit his family.

Today is wet, cold, and windy so we aren't doing any construction on the hen house today, but it's giving me a chance to figure out more of the details. Hubby works faster than I can get things figured out, so I need the time! Can't wait to get it all done and get the chickens!!

Welcome to BYC! You have come to the coolest place on the internet for chicken knowledge.

I started with chickens last summer and the people of BYC have been great. This year I have tried hatching and buying chicks for even more chickeny joy. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

Chickens generally prefer privacy when laying eggs. Some people have good luck with 5 gal buckets on their sides. One of mine liked it and the rest hated it.

Back
Top Bottom