New from Montana, Raising Ducks

Miss Carcajou

Chirping
Apr 9, 2018
Montana
Hello from snowy Montana!

While I have lived and helped on various farms with chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys and guinea hens... I am a few weeks into my very first run of raising ducklings. They are so messy, growing so fast, and by far the most entertaining addition to my family. I love them!

I joined because I kept getting drawn here from various google searches regarding my new ducklings. I might as well join the community and start my own threads!

I currently have 4 three week old Cayuga ducklings, which I plan to raise for eggs and pest control around my garden. I learn more every day, but have been having the worst luck with weather that has led to some crazy duckling antics as they run wild in my garage dog kennel. Currently I am working on refurbishing an old chicken coop for them (they have the run of it when the weather is nice, but freezing temps and snow storms have kept them in my garage at night), finding creative ideas for ponds (I am thinking about sinking a tub with a drain into my yard hillside for easy drainage and a more natural aesthetic), and working on getting the ducklings to not run from myself and my dog(they love tomatoes so I have been stepping up my treat game when around them, but still trying not to give them too many in ratio to their diet).

I'm sure my future may see some expansions to my little flock, but this is a new learning curve and I am eager to hear from other cold weather duck owners and enthusiasts to build my knowledge. Cheers!

Welcome Wagon.gif

I hope you have found the Duck forums already!

Ducklings are so cute

G'Day from down under Miss Carcajou :frowWelcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. There are some down the bottom of the page which are duck specific.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

Back
Top Bottom