New from Pa.

betsy55

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Hello! Just joined BYC today for some friendly advice and to enjoy looking at and hearing about what others are doing.
I'm on my third flock. My first flock was given to me by a friend. Some of the girls were rather agressive and I decided to give them away before winter set in. Just wasn't ready for tending them in the bitter cold.
The next flock I raised from peeps. They were so sweet. I really loved them. Then one day we found one dead in the yard. It was eaten by, I wasn't sure what. I now believe it was a hawk. I was so upset. I couldn't afford to buy fencing and posts to make a run at the time and couldn't bare to see them go one by one so I gave them to a friend. I still miss them. :)
My new flock consists of 4 one year old red sex links that I bought from a farmer at 18 weeks. They couldn't be sweeter. They all lay me an egg a day even in winter. ( I have a heat lamp over their roosting pole when it's below freezing.)
This year I just bought 2 Black Jersey Giants. They are 4 weeks. I can tell already they are going to be nice. They are pullets but they look so different. Makes me wonder if one is a Roo.
Well, looking forward to spending some time looking at all the pics and reading who's doing what with chickens. Sending along some pics of my girls. :)

These are my BJGs

These are my big girls

I was wondering about the difference in tail length of my BJGs. The one with the long tail is smaller also. They are supposed to be pullets but the one looks like a Roo to me. Anyone have any experience in sexing on appearance at such a young age?

Back
Top Bottom