New from South Australia - with questions!

SkyeSussex

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 20, 2014
Hi,

I have recently set up for chickens for the first time in my adult life and i'm delighted to have them back.

I have:
4 light sussex - 10 months old
1 silver sussex - 21 weeks
2 Plymouth Rocks - 20 weeks (my faves)
2 auracana - 14 and 16 weeks

Gold laced wyandotte are on the wish list - will be looking for fertile eggs later.

At the risk of sounding like i am impatient - when should I be expecting my sussex to lay? Might i be doing something wrong?

Is it ok to feed these girls the same food now they are all a little older?

That is a picture of my coop and yard. It was a project of mine. I wanted to build the area using completely recycled materials so i used ex vinyard posts, recycled pallets, old roofing iron and leftover fencing wire :) love it.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like you have a lovely flock! Don't worry, we were ALL impatient waiting on those first eggs. LOL Most breeds start laying sometime between 5 and 6 months of age. When the combs get red and they start to squat for you when you lean over them, the eggs should be coming down the pipes soon!

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Hi :welcome
Glad you could join the flock! 100% on everyone being impatient for those first eggs!! You have a lovely flock there and a great set up. Hope you are able to get your gold lace Wyandotte, I have friends who have a gold wyandotte in their flock and she is a lovely bird.

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined.

Are your 10 month old Light Sussex the birds that aren't laying yet? Most birds start laying at 5-7 months old, so they would be rather late. Is it possible that they could be hiding their eggs somewhere?

If it's your 21 week old Sussex that isn't laying yet, she'll probably start laying within the next month or so.

I hope you can find the Golden Laced Wyandottes you want! I really enjoy my Wyandottes (though I don't have the Golden Laced variety).

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

You have a pretty flock! Most chickens begin laying by 6 months, but it does vary, so I wouldn't worry too much about your Sussex.

Good luck with your chickens!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom