New from Texas

CharlieD

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 14, 2013
Hello, my name is Charles and I am from Texas.

I joined this forum because I know I am going to be needing help. I have a good friend who left me 21 of his 3 week old chicks while he went on a cruise. We will split them 50/50 when he returns. I am not sure exactly what breed of chickens they are and not sure if he does either. I believe one of them maybe a Rooster, but now sure.

I am just getting started raising Chickens but did enjoy summer months on my grandparents farm. They raised Rode Island Reds strictly for eggs and meat once they stopped laying.

My goal is to have 10 good egg layers. I have raised pigeons for 8 years so I am not new to birds but new to raising chickens. I believe chickens will be less work then pigeons. I had as many as 80 pigeons at one time and it took a considerable amount of time each day to care and train them. I still have around 30 which I may be phasing out here shortly and converting the pigeon coop to a chicken coop. My current pigeon coop is 20x16.

Looking forward to it!

Hi and :welcome

Good luck with your chickens.
I hope you find all the info you need here, and enjoy the site. :D

LL

Good luck trying to train chickens
gig.gif
just teasing. Glad you joined our flock
jumpy.gif
They are already very talented so training should be a breeze.

My first goal is to teach them to lay eggs.
smile.png
I am suspecting that I will have about a 50% success rate with this flock.

Myself and someone else is splitting these 21 and the person who ordered them only ordered 15 but received 21. I am thinking the additional 6 are all roosters and so I would assume I will have at least 3 roosters and 7 hens.

Back
Top Bottom