New Fuzzy Butts!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChicknLittleLexi, Mar 29, 2011.

1. ChicknLittleLexi

ChicknLittleLexi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Sonora, CA
    I am now the proud mommy of four 2-week-old Rhode Island Red girls! [​IMG]

Now that I have my cheepy little babies, what on earth do I do to take care of them? I'm trying really hard to find a comprehensive, idiot-proof chick raising care sheet but I'm having no luck, even on here. Help!

2. ajacskr

ajacskr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Talbott, TN
  3. ChicknLittleLexi

Mar 24, 2011
    Sonora, CA
    Thanks! I guess I am just afraid of messing this up and hurting or killing them...I want to raise these girls right!

On that note, I am totally already in love. I put the brooder in my home office so that I can check on them frequently, but it keeps them away from the family dog (he's a bird dog too...eek!) and they're in there cheeping away. Actually, now they're sleeping in a corner.

They've found their feeder, but I don't know if they have noticed their waterer yet...any suggestions on leading them in the right direction?

And I researched chicken math...THAT CANNOT BE ME! I am only allowed four chickens, so says my husband. I can have more when we move, buy a house, and can build a permanent coop [​IMG]

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    *gives lexi a tiny little ameracauna pullet

5. ChicknLittleLexi

Mar 24, 2011
    Sonora, CA
    Quote:Evil! Don't tempt me, I heart itty bitty little fuzzy butts.

Just went in to check on them...one of them has decided that the chick feeder is her new roost. Thankfully, she's the only one (so far). Time to put a roost in, not sure how I'm going to do that since the brooder is just a cardboard box haha

And I've decided on names! Maisy, Daisy, Mitzy and Ditzy. Of course, I have no idea which is which just yet. I'll dole out the names as they show their little personalities [​IMG]

6. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    [​IMG]

7. Pickles03

Pickles03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Niagara Falls, ON
    Yay! so fun [​IMG]

8. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    [​IMG] To put a roost in I used a piece of scrap wood that I elevated with other scraps nailed together. It worked and they use it sometimes. Good Luck with your new little ones! [​IMG]

9. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    [​IMG]

Just wait until the addiction sets in!

10. Squeezle

Squeezle New Egg

Mar 29, 2011
    You will LOVE the Rhode Island Reds! They are so friendly and funny [​IMG]. My Penny (RIP) used to follow me EVERYWHERE! I'd often find her waiting on the back porch for me. You'll have a ball with four.

This season I got some Rhode Island Red & White crosses. I'll be curious to see if they have a similar personality.

Have fun!

~Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by