new fuzzybutts - End of Week 1

Whitey_87

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
6-21-10: Only had one death so far, a JCXR. I keeping hearing (what I think is) sneezing. I am hoping it is only the wood chips or maybe the ammonia from the fatties kicking it into high gear. I do see a couple brown foamy poops once in a while.

I took some close-ups of the free chick they sent. It has fuzzy cheeks, head, and green legs/feet. Can anyone identify the breed?

Arrived around 9:30 am. No deaths. Purchased from McMurray. 25 JCXR, 6 BR, 6 NH Reds, 1 free chick (99% chance of being male), the others are all pullets
fl.gif
. They went after the grow gel like flies on stink. I dipped their beaks in the water as I put them in the brooder. The cheapo thermometer reads a little high, but the brooder is big so they have plenty of room to spread out. A couple chicks just seem to want to sleep. I made sure those did know the water and got some grow gel (I am pretty sure they are just tired), but is it normal for a single chick to just doze off without any others? - you can see in the pics. Enjoy.

40024_p1001097.jpg

40024_p1001098.jpg

40024_p1001099.jpg

40024_p1001100.jpg

40024_p1001101.jpg

40024_p1001102.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all. They are like little roadrunners.

Thanks B-H. The brooder is in the shed. It is not visible in the picture but I have a section of the side cut out (but still covered) that leads to a dog door which exits the shed. As they get older they will be able to wander out into the big run with my 6 RIR's. I will build a special cage attached to the dog door (on the outside) so the RIR's cannot hurt them but so the chicks can go outside when they want.

I was carrying the postal box by the coop with the RIR's and of course they thought it was treats, so I stop by while they are all along the fence. As soon as they heard the peeping they ran to the other side of the run. They were peeping loud too.

OMG... too cute. Mine were this size a week ago, but now they seem to have doubled in size. Enjoy them as they grow up so fast.

Had a death this morning.
sad.png

Can't tell if it was a trampling or a smothering. It didn't have a pasty butt or anything. It was in the position that most of them sleep in, neck out, one leg out (like sunning). the thermometer is reading over 100 (like I originally said, I think the cheapo thing is not reading correct) but they have plenty of room to get away from the heat if they need to, but in fact are spending most of their time under or at the periphery of the heat zone. None are panting or making excessive noise because they are cold. It was a meatie that died...do any issues show up this early (heart issues, etc)?

The only thing I can think of is that it got really cold last night and because of the open top brooder, the temp dropped and they all started huddling. I am going to be sure to get up at midnight for a couple days to check the temp. Or, we did get spell of rain last night, they may have been frightened by the sound of it hitting the roof and crushed the poor girl.

Bummer...

Any ideas ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom