New Gal from Minnesota

MirandaMarie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 1, 2012
Minnesota
Hey everyone!
My name is Miranda and I'm from the beautiful land of over 10,000 lakes. I'm here to gather as much information as I can before spring so my father and I can make sure we can take care of a flock of chickens. My family has never owned chickens before, so we have a lot to learn before we actually get any birds.

We are interested in keeping a few egg laying chickens just for a hobby. We are trying to find chickens that can stand the extremes of the Minnesota climate, produce quality eggs frequently, and have a nice disposition.

We are also are looking to make the right kind of chicken coop and nesting boxes.

I look forward to learning more about raising chickens!

~MirandaMarie

Greetings from Kansas, Miranda, and
welcome-byc.gif
! We are pleased to have you here!! How exciting to be getting some Spring Chickens! I know certain of the fluffier breeds like orpingtons are reckoned to do well in the cold. Also a breed called Chanteclers are bred for cold weather. A lot will depend on their living conditions - if they have a good draft-free coop they can go into when it's really bitter, a lot of breeds will work. Type in a search for cold weather breeds on BYC and see what old threads have said. Best of luck to you!!

Hi Miranda,

Welcome to BYC. I just joined last week, so I'm a newby, too. I'm from Wisconsin (but grew up in Stillwater, Minnesota). We have Rhode Island Reds, among others, and they seem to weather our cold Midwest winters quite nicely. However, our Rooster's comb got frost bite last winter and the tips came off in the Spring :(

Barb
NDchickens
Boyd, WI

That is so cool, I happen to live just north of Stillwater!
I'm sorry to hear about your rooster, did the comb heal alright?

~MirandaMarie

Back
Top Bottom