NEW GOAT COMING SOON!!!!!

What treats do you love to feed your Goat?

• Total voters
Nov 1, 2020
Southern Missouri
I'm getting a baby goat christmas week and NEED a name what shall I name him ( I named him TIMBER )ITS A BOY!!!!!!
I would also like to know if there are any other goat lovers or goat owners out there.
If you have feeding tips I am still learning about he will be out all day while we are outside to supervise him.
I know the rule about getting one goat and they can't be alone so you should get 2 well. Our neighbors goat is pregnant.
He will be alone until January hoping that our neighbors goat gives birth to at least one girl. If no girl I think we might keep a male and casturate him or get a girl somewhere else.
I am hoping to breed and sell the babies.
This article is dedicated to all goat people RULES

You may post what you want as long as you are
Appropriate
Related to farming or on the farm
Nice
Helpful
and most importantly have FUN
THANK YOU

Based on when these kids were/will be born I'm guessing you are getting goats that can breed year round. If you plan to breed, you can't keep them together all the time. You certainly can't keep an intact male with a doeling. He will breed her when she gets her first heat. Being breed that young would probably kill her. Her body would not be able to handle being pregnant. If she's born in January, the earliest I'd breed her would probably be November. That would depend on her size and health.

In my opinion, if you plan to keep a buck you need a minimum of 4 goats. A buck and his buddy (either another buck or a wether) and a doe and her buddy (either doe or wether). They need to be kept separated until you're ready to breed the doe(s). But really, unless you have a good amount of does it's usually not worth it to keep a buck. You should also consider the genetics of the buck. Not every male should be allowed to pass on his genetics. You'd probably be better off wethering Timber and keeping him as a pet. Then you can rent a buck when needed.

I currently have a herd of 12 Nigerian Dwarfs. I have 3 bucks. Originally I only planned to keep 2 but a great opportunity came up on a buckling with impressive milking genetics. One buck could easily cover all my does but I choose to keep more for various reasons. I also have a friend with 3 does and having an extra buck allows me to let her borrow one without issue. I adore my boys, but they can be a handful (and very stinky) during rut. Keeping bucks is not for everyone.

As for treats... All my goats are feed alfalfa year round. Does in milk and young kids get grain. The only real treats I give them are tree branches. I make sure they are chemical free and non-toxic to goats. The bucks sometimes get BOSS but the girls don't seem to like it. I have one goat that likes fruits and veggies but no one else will eat them.

Be sure you vaccinate him with CD/T for tetanus and clostridium perfingens (enterotoxemia). There is a peppermint horse treat available. I forget what it is called but most goats go nuts over them.

I'm getting a baby goat christmas week and NEED a name what shall I name him ( I named him TIMBER )ITS A BOY!!!!!!
I would also like to know if there are any other goat lovers or goat owners out there.
If you have feeding tips I am still learning about he will be out all day while we are outside to supervise him.
I know the rule about getting one goat and they can't be alone so you should get 2 well. Our neighbors goat is pregnant.
He will be alone until January hoping that our neighbors goat gives birth to at least one girl. If no girl I think we might keep a male and casturate him or get a girl somewhere else.
I am hoping to breed and sell the babies.
This article is dedicated to all goat people RULES

You may post what you want as long as you are
Appropriate
Related to farming or on the farm
Nice
Helpful
and most importantly have FUN
THANK YOU
I LOVE my goats. My brother and I have 8 between us.
Mine:
Rose, a rosy tan color
Mocha, super dark brown with white splotches
Summer, tan and white with oreo pattern
Rowan, dark brown with white splotches

My brother's:
Alex, reddish brown with white splotches
Fumby, light tan with pale face
Sally, light tan with white splotches
Cookies and Cream, black, grey, white, and tan mixed color.

Summer and Alex were our first two and were bottlefed for a month or so.

Back
Top Bottom