New Goat Owner Needs Help!!!

You need more than one goat!!!! We started with one and trully heard him cry for 3 days and got another right away....Excellent sites were mentioned earlier. I agree totally with the recommendations.... Also, think fencing and hoof care and shelter.... That goat will need you as a caregiver....

Take care and have a blessed day.

"The goat won't be alone I have about every other type critter there is for it to play with."

Every other type of critter doesn't quite work with a goat. Really, honestly, trust me (and all the other posters) on this. We got our first doe from a woman who had horses and dogs. This doe's friend had passed away, not sure how long ago. She was shy and mistrustful. After we brought her home, we quickly added a wether for her. She aggressively butted his head for a bit, then it became more gentle, then playful. After about a day i would look out and see them just touching heads.

We got a bottle baby at the same time who is now big enough to be with the other two. Other than times they are napping or eating, they pretty much play all the time. They play King of the Hill, Musical Chairs, and Head Bunts (to name a few). Goats absolutely need other goats to play with. A sheep doesn't want to head bunt with a goat. A dog or cat doesn't care about playing King of the Hill. Most every other critter can get along without a buddy, but a goat can not and should not.

Also, i second the comments about hoof care. They need to be trimmed (with the proper shears) on a regular basis. Have your livestock vet show you how to do it, as i have heard stories of folks trimming too close, which can cause a goat to bleed out and die.

Don't mean to scare you, just prepare you.
smile.png

Quote:
I trim with a $3 hoof knife, and yes...I have had situations where there's so much blood you're pretty sure death is on its way.

It's always been my blood, though.
th.gif

Nothing like a big hand or finger laceration that's immediately inoculated with rotting mud and goat poop -- especially when it happens on goat 1, hoof 1, and you've got a nice long line of goats waiting to be done..

Been there, done that, got several bloody t-shirts and a few pair of gloves with holes in them.

Ask whoever you are getting the goat from what they feed and how much. Do not overfeed a goat with grain or pellets. Goats can convince you that they are starving. Keep the goat out of your other animals food. Browse is best, and if you have enough of it should be all it needs if the goat is a wether or billy or adult unbred female.
Ask the owner about vaccinations and when the goat was last wormed and with what. Also ask them to show you how to trim the hooves. Hopefully they will be willing to help you out.
Goats do need another goat friend.

Other critters do NOT count--goats need other goats--not a pig or something else as a "companion" I will not sell a goat to someone to be alone, nor will I sell one to someone who does not even know minimal care information.
Goats are very intelligent, very social animals who do not deserve to be just another critter so you can say you have a goat. And whoever you are getting the goat from is certainly not a breeder, just an owner, or you would have been asked questions about your goat knowledge, and if you had a GOAT companion for your new goat. Obviously that person is only looking for a sale, and could care less about the animal.
If you really love animals, you will learn QUICKLY how to properly care for your goat, and you will not want your goat to be miserable and alone.
Goats often eat toxic plants they are ignorant of, like hemlock or yew or rhododendron, etc.
Do you know what plants you have on your property, and if they are toxic?

Frankly, I wouldn't even ask if/when the goat was last vaccinated. People lie. I'd just assume it wasn't done at all and do it again.

You're looking for C/D-T vaccine... Covers Clostridium Perferingens Types C & D, plus Tetanus. Our local TSC carries it in a 10-dose vial for like $4.

Why are some of you blasting me!!! I read every book possible before getting chickens and other critters but most ended up being wrong in terms of practicallity that normal people use. I have learnt it is easier and you learn more common sence from asking people that actually have the animals than books. I realize they need most of the same care as dogs in terms of goat shots, hoof trimings, fresh water, and limited feed because like some breeds of dogs that are prone to bloat. Its like country mouse vs city mouse - There are people willing to help and other that just want to blast you!

Quote:
I don't know anything about pygmys, I have 2 boer goats. I wanted a goat forever, hubby said no. One day I went to a sale and before I knew it, I have a day old bottle baby in my van! On the way home I called a co-worker, he hooked me up with his daughter-in-law who I had never met, but raises goats. She came up, gave me a crash course and Bella is a happy healthy 7 month old! A few months after we got Bella, Stephanie (the goat lady as I call her) called me up with a newly born baby that needed bottle fed and Bailey is also a very spoiled, happy, healthy 5 month old! Most of the time I think reading all the books and stuff on the internet is confusing and just having someone there to answer questions is the way to go. Some people make it way more difficult than what it is. If you know the basic care and have someone knowledgeable to ask, I think you will do just fine.

Now, I want to see pics!

Back
Top Bottom