New goat (photos) Wormy? What's the best wormer? Also, breed guesses?

Aaaaw... lol Yep, kinda figured it was a negative experience of some sort.
lol.png

Quote:

Here is why my DH was having lunch one day by the side of the road, he worked for the county highway dept. There was a goat at this farm and DH's lunch box was right beside him DH was getting his cookies out and the goat wanted one so he was nice and shared with the goat then the goat went away and came back DH had only 1 cookie left so he ate the cookie so the goat then tried getting into DH lunch box that did not work so the goat ticked on DH boot. DH HATES goats now. I think it is funny goat taught him a lesson. I might still get my goats just make sure they are female. I hope.

Quote:
Thank you.. And yes, i'm looking into the hoove trimming. Never done it, and I don't know anyone who does it who can show me how.
I did find some videos on youtube... It doesn't cause any pain for the goat, does it?

roll.png
Yes... Nasty, nasty. I mean, he seemed like a nice guy and all. But, yech. And that CAN'T be healthy.
No, she was his only goat. From what he told me, I guess he bought her and a billy goat to breed,
and it turned out they weren't purebred as he was told.
He got rid of the billy after he kicked her in the stomach while she was giving birth.
So, she was the only goat for a while, from what I understand.

Quote:

Cute shot of her.. But, at the same time....
daizy1.jpg

It worries me. Hope she doesn't have cataracts?

dayzie2.jpg

She has had her first bath! She's a little cleaner, but still needs to put on some weight.
As well as get de-wormed, her hooves trimmed, etc..
But, i'm working on it.

daizie3.jpg

What a cutie! What makes you think she has something wrong with her eyes? Are they cloudy? The pictures are sort of hard to see if that's the case. Most goat's eyes will show up some different color when you take a picture of them, but in person they should be a nice black "slit" in the middle (which looks like hers are) and the color around it - in her case brown. The white part should obviously be white.

Hoof trimming SHOULD'T hurt the goat, but if it's been a while since it's been done, which I suspect it has, you'd be better off by trimming off the most excessive peices first, waiting a week, going back for more, repeat until they're nice, smooth and uniform. I've nicked my goats a few times - it looks much worse than it is. You could keep some flour or cobwebs near by (yes, I said cobwebs!) as they stop bleeding fairly quickly in the event you get her good. She'll probably limp a bit or favor that hoof for the day, but by the next day should be putting pressure on the hoof again.

No, they look clear in person... I just wondered, by the way they look in photos.
Thank you, I will do it that way, a little at a time.
But, cobwebs, really?? lol Ok.. I'm sure I can find some of those!! lol
And some flour, in case. I used to have a thing of powder to stop bleeding, somewhere.
Thanks again!
big_smile.png

Quote:

IMO the "thing of powder to stop bleeding" is a waste of money. Flour works just as well and cobwebs seal the deal. Something about the webbing seals all the cracks and cuts and the blood stops.

You have your advice on how to get rid of the worms. Over worming can be a big problem. We follow the same schedule with the goats and we do the horses, and worm with ivermectin every 3 months. Also, pumpkin is a great treat and natural wormer.

Back
Top Bottom