New goat (photos) Wormy? What's the best wormer? Also, breed guesses?

Sunshyne276

Songster
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Richlands, Virginia
I brought home a goat this past week, and she's a real sweetheart.
love.gif

But, I think she may have worms. She is huge in the tummy, and thin elsewhere. (spine, etc)
These pics were taken the first day I brought her home, her tummy doesn't seem quite as bad now, but still...

A little info I know about her:

- Boer cross (wonder what she is crossed with?) - he said when he bought her, they said she is pure, but he doesn't think she is.
I don't know a lot about goat breeds, personally!

- 5-6 years old

- She was kept alone for a few years

- She has bred 3 times, all have been twin births, one time the billy was with her and kicked her in the tummy while giving birth!
sad.png

- Her diet had been briars, occasional sweet feed and cigarettes.
sickbyc.gif
He gave them to her as treats.

- And most importantly, she is a real sweetheart with a great personality, and i'm so happy to have brought her home!
Now, if I can get her back to good health, i'll be thrilled!

What is the best wormer to use, and is it fairly economical? Can goats use horse wormer, or does it have to be a special type of some sort?

Thanks in advance!!

nan1.jpg

nan2.jpg

nan3.jpg

nancat.jpg

I am not sure about a wormer but just wanted to say that is a cute goat.
love.gif
I loved when we had goats when I was kid I loved the bottle feed ones they used to run to the fence when they saw us coming with the bottles even when they where to old for the bottle they would still suck on our fingers. I miss goats and can't have one because we live in town and DH says no goats when we get our farm
hit.gif

No goats when you get your farm?!
sad.png
Wonder what he has against goats! lol
I know several people who have had bad experienced with aggressive goats, and dislike them.
I love goats.. I'm a first time goat owner, have always wanted one/some.
And thank you, she is a cutie
smile.png

Quote:

Looking at her. She looks severely wormy. It may be her coat though.Pull down her eyelid and see if it is white or pink. She looks about 75% Boer and maybe some dairy goat in her. Has she been with a Buck? If so do not give her valbazen. She can abort. if not bred give her 8 CC of valbazen every 10 days as a 3 treatment plan. Add electrolytes to her water and you may want to get a dose of scour halt for pigs. When she is wormed she probably will get the scours (diarrhea) from the worm overload.if her eyelids are bright red. She is fine. I would still give her safeguard horse wormer 1/3 of a tube. Pm me if you need more help. Good luck!!!

get a fecal done so that you know what you're dealing with - some worms require different wormers, and she could have cocci instead of worms, etc. a biiiiig problem with goats is overuse of wormers, leading to worms becoming resistant to the drugs, so it's very helpful to actually know what you've got before you treat.
smile.png
a fecal is usually fairly inexpensive, and the vet should be able to then tell you what treatment you need. there aren't many goat-specific meds out there, so most of what you'd use will be marketed as horse/cattle meds like ivomec, just make sure you get the correct dosage. but she may just be thin from lack of food.

apparently tobacco is one of those old wives tales that some people believe is supposedly a "natural dewormer" ... i personally don't think that's true, but at least it gives maybe a bit of an explanation for feeding cigarettes =/

glad you got her though, sounds like she'll be happier and healthier with you
smile.png
she's a cutie!

She's such a sweet looking & it's wonderful that she has you now
love.gif

Like MetalSmitten said having a fecal done is definately a good idea so that you'll know exactly what she's infested with. We switch up our dewormers depending on what we need them to treat at the time, if a doe is pregnant or not, etc. But Valbazen is a really good one, as long as she's isn't pregnant. Keep a watch on the inner membrane of her eye & her gums. They should be a bright pink to red. You don't want them to be a light pink, white, or grayish as that's a sign of anemia which in turn is usually a sign of a worm infestation, and anemic, wormy goats can very quickly deteriorate. If so you might want to give her B-12 injections & Iron. We had one goat that we took in that was severely anemic, loaded with worms, & looked like a walking skeleton, but we quarantined her, treated her, & over time she recovered. Now, she's one of my favorites & has led a carefree, well fed life with us.

Also, make sure that she keeps up her appetite, stays hydrated, & doesn't act lethargic or listless. And since you're a first time goat owner you might want to find someone with more experience to help you trim her hooves. If she's never had them done or it's been awhile she could have hoof rot.

She looks very similar to one of our does, a Boer x Dairy. So, I second that that may be what she is. BTW, our Boer X happens to be one of our easiest to milk does.

You know, I can't even imagine ours eating a cigarette. Most of ours are so picky about what they eat it's pitiful. Anyways, enjoy her & give her the love she deserves
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

Here is why my DH was having lunch one day by the side of the road, he worked for the county highway dept. There was a goat at this farm and DH's lunch box was right beside him DH was getting his cookies out and the goat wanted one so he was nice and shared with the goat then the goat went away and came back DH had only 1 cookie left so he ate the cookie so the goat then tried getting into DH lunch box that did not work so the goat ticked on DH boot. DH HATES goats now. I think it is funny goat taught him a lesson. I might still get my goats just make sure they are female. I hope.

Yes, her hooves do need attention, especially the front ones. She looks like she's lucky you were there to adopt her. It's obvious her standard of care hasn't been what it should be. She'll need vaccinated for CL and tetanus as well.

Wait....did you say that her previous owner gave her cigarettes as a treat!?!?!?
sickbyc.gif

Does he have other goats? If so you might want to run over there and take them all. That doesn't sound like a great place for goats to live.

Back
Top Bottom