New goats - intro help

Echilde

Songster
Mar 17, 2019
Kentucky
I currently have one goat, a ND doe, who is 11-12 years old. Her sister died in late November. I decided I wanted to go ahead and start raising/ breeding goats, plus I figured she'd want since company since they are here animals.

Anyway, today I got 2 3 month old does. I brought them home and let them run the yard a little. I watched the entire time to make sure my old girl was ok with them. She was very interested, followed them around, laid with them, and seemed fine.

The only time there was an issue was when they went in to the goat house. Grace, my old girl, ran them off. Now I know they need to be separated for a little while and I have the kids penned now. Grace immediately ran to the pen and laid down right outside the door. So maybe a good sign?

My question is, how long should I keep them apart? Also, what are the chances that a pretty old goat is going to adapt to the kids? She has only been alone for a few months and during that time she started chilling with my chickens lol. I dont want her to hurt them, but I also don't want them to have to stay penned for too long. Grace does not have horns, so I guess that is a small plus.

Oh the kids are ND and Boer crosses. I am also due to get a wether in a cpl months (ND and Nubian cross). Maybe I am crazy?!

Thanks for any advice!

Goats are kinda like chickens in that they establish a pecking order when new goats are added. Unless someone is getting hurt, I let them work it out. The kids are usually faster than adults. Make sure you have an extra shelter from the wind and a few food spots and they should be good in a few days. I added a month old bottle goat with my 7 yr old wether after his companion died in december. Then I added a 6 week old to the mix last week. Even my little one was head butting and fussing. Now they are all good friends and sleep in a pile together.

Last edited:
Also, pics? I love goats!
20210303_184254.jpg
20210301_131854_HDR.jpg
20210128_135553.jpg

Goats are kinda like chickens in that they establish a pecking order when new goats are added. Unless someone is getting hurt, I let them work it out. The kids are usually faster than adults. Make sure you have an extra shelter from the wind and a few food spots and they should be good in a few days. I added a month old bottle goat with my 7 yr old wether after his companion died in december. Then I added a 6 week old to the mix last week. Even my little one was head butting and fussing. Now they are all good friends and sleep in a pile together.

Thanks. I am setting up a different shelter today that they can access on their own, so I will see how things go after that.

How are things? I had to build a second shelter because it seems the first thing my herd queens do is only allow certain goats in the shed. Every time I sell a dominant goat, the new queen does this. Then I built a second shelter but made the mistake of having that open door be next to the first shelter. So Cocoa (queen right now) would just guard both...
I rebuilt the back wall of the shelter with a door and boarded up the original door. No goat can guard both openings now so everyone gets inside.
Sometimes they all get along, sometimes they don't. I have 2 small isolation pens that I will put a goat in if it needs to be alone.

How are things? I had to build a second shelter because it seems the first thing my herd queens do is only allow certain goats in the shed. Every time I sell a dominant goat, the new queen does this. Then I built a second shelter but made the mistake of having that open door be next to the first shelter. So Cocoa (queen right now) would just guard both...
I rebuilt the back wall of the shelter with a door and boarded up the original door. No goat can guard both openings now so everyone gets inside.
Sometimes they all get along, sometimes they don't. I have 2 small isolation pens that I will put a goat in if it needs to be alone.

They are doing ok. It's been a week and she isn't running them off every time they try to go in lol. She has let them climb the play structure a couple times too. I still have the separate pen up and they are actually going in there every night on their own, which is nice since they are little still. I'm hopeful that she starts accepting them a little more and lets them in "her" house.

😍 Beautiful little goats! She'll accept them. Don't worry. My kids are bringing out the 'kid' in my adult goat. It's so cute seeing him run around bouncing. He still head butts them, especially at feed time, but he sleeps with them too.

She's getting there. She still tries to head butt them, but here soon if she keeps it up, she will see what horns are lol. She's polled and they aren't. I have seen her playing some with them this week!

I've got 2 more coming in May so she will need to get over herself lol.

Back
Top Bottom