New guy from Fl.

I'm sure I will be asking a lot of questions since I have never raised chickens before. I have been reading what I can and plan to have everything in place. I built a tractor it has approx 35 sq feet, and I can leave one end open so the can have more room.
003-18.jpg

001-20.jpg

I still have a lil more to do, but probably do that tomorrow. I figure this is enough room for 3 hens? The feed store has Rhode Island Red, Americana(sp) and a Black Sex link. These have been there a lil while and I guess maybe week and a half old. The will also be gettin Barred Rock in , and I guess my question is with the heat of summer here are these breeds suitable? I'm not in a chicken friendly area, but I talked with my one neighbor who lives next to me, and he's fine with it and likes the idea... I have a lake behind, and we have the empty lot on the other side, with a canal going to the other lake. I 've known everyone here my whole life. Which of these listed would be the best, as far as agression, and noise be. I won't have any roosters, so that won't be a problem. Thanks all.
Conrad

Those breeds should do OK if you have shade and water available. Plenty of room for three chickens. I couldn't get the pictures up. By open at one end do you mean screened? Are you planing to let them free range? Will you have a run? Welcome to BYC. There are many on here who like to answer questions. And some even ask more questions.

I worked on it a lil more this evening, no one side is all wood, and I have a skirt idea to keep others out. I will have to get a pic. It's atractor desigh I can move, but I have a wood end I can remove on the bottom to let them run... I do have some white shade cloth i will cut upand have the wifes mom hem to make a couple covers for shade...

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Conrad
welcome-byc.gif

Triple the size - once you start with chickens, you will want more, and more, and more, and more
lol.png

Looks good so far. Ignore the feather pushers. You'll know if you get addicted and need to build more. One thing in the Florida heat more ventilation is good. Living there I guess you know that.

Looks good so far. Ignore the feather pushers. You'll know if you get addicted and need to build more. One thing in the Florida heat more ventilation is good. Living there I guess you know that.

Is that what I am? A "feather pusher"??
lau.gif

Maybe not you but there are others on here who like to enable chicken addicts.

When I began, I wish someone had warned me that it can become addictive. It would have saved me a lot of time and money in the long run because I would have been more prepared in my set up. (I'm not any good at DIY so I have to rely on purchasing housing/runs). Although my comment initially was tongue-in-cheek, it does have a ring of truth about it (in my experience).

If that wasn't your experience, then you are fortunate. Or, maybe a stronger soul than I am
wink.png
Apologies if my comment offended you. That was not my intention at all!

I know what ya mean... I already am going from 3 to 4 but that's it... I did get my coup finished yesterday, I am going to get some chicks tomorrow, and set them up a ll spot for them with a lamp. It is mid 80's during the day and 70 or so at night, is that too cold for them when they hit 3 weeks- month or so? It will only be gettin warmer.

Back
Top Bottom