new guy here... have a few question about coop that i am building

Quote:
i have about $100 in it,,, the only thing i had to buy was a screen door, the screening for the run and the treated 2x6 x 12's and 2x6x8's for the lower framing .. i had a bunch of matrail left over from building my shop and adding a addition to the house.. if i had to buy all the materail the cost would be $350- $400 max depending on what siding you went with

my center of height from the peak of the truss uwill be a 7 '1/2 ft which will drop down the the top of the wall framing at 6' 3" the total lenght is 12' 4 "x 8' wiide . if i enjoy raising chickens i will build another coop probably a 12x 16 with a concrete run and a coop that i can walk in

Quote:

This is what I cyphered up:

A fairly steep 5 in 12 roof slope will give me a rise of 20" from the wall to the peak. Figuring on 4' coop walls, and 18" under the coop for a storm shelter. 5.5' to the top of the wall from the ground, and from the ground to the peak, 7' 2".

A 12'x4' footprint should hold 10 birds?

How high are your coop walls?

How high is the rise of the roof?

Hey, this is all fun stuff when you do it for a hobby. Right?
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
from everything that i have read on here a 12x8 should be plenty of room for ten birds . my coop wall will be 4 1/2 ' tall. i will have about 21 inches under the coop for the storm shelter . i agree it has been fun so far and i could really care less about the eggs, for me it is something to do . what size coop are you building ? go bigger than you need ..lol its like a garage once you have built it .. it is never big enough .. btw nice buck!

Last edited:
ashtray- since this is a "backyard" coop, I am going to be limited in size. the coop itself will be 8' x 4', with an 18' space under it and a gable roof. It should be able to hold 8 birds.

I hope to start gathering my lumber soon, and begin building in a couple of weeks. i have birds ordered through a friend, so I HAVE to get busy. The birds will be here in 4 or 5 weeks. she did say that she will keep them for me until my coop is ready.

sounds good
smile.png
i need to get busy on my coop, i have not touched it in last 2-3 days . I have all the walls framed up and sq, i need to pull it apart and move it outside reset walls and get started on the rafters ... i will post some pics when i get it it outside the shop ........................good luck on your coop
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom