New guy here. Need help on coop

Cleancoops.com

You can buy plans from them for several sizes of coops. Be sure to print them in color as they’re color coded.
Best coop we ever built!
The pop door and ramp weren’t finished in this photo.
1616822240422.jpeg

I’m brand new to the chicken world. I actually don’t have any yet nor do I have a coop. But my wife and I want to start with about 4-6 chickens. What the best coop you can buy as a starter, that’s inexpensive? Say <$600?
for where you live...don’t over think it. your pictures looked fine. realize that farmers figure it out. you have $2 chickens. i’m pretty sure you’ll learn how do it.

I’m brand new to the chicken world. I actually don’t have any yet nor do I have a coop. But my wife and I want to start with about 4-6 chickens. What the best coop you can buy as a starter, that’s inexpensive? Say <$600?
I have a contractor friend who is building us one using some leftover materials to keep costs down. It's the size we need and is insulated well for our winters. You might find someone where you live who could do the same.

Just remember chickens are not that picky. They will be happy with almost anything. My first coop was a repurposed old play house from a swing set. And my new one working on uses an old Ikea twin bed frame with walls and a roof added. It's a Kura reversible bed. You can always fine things like this on craigslist or face book for cheap. I used fence picket for the wall to save money instead of buying a large plywood sheets that are like $50 a piece now. Be creative have fun and make your coop unique.

Attachments

• 20210317_143905_HDR.jpg
    20210317_143905_HDR.jpg
    555.3 KB · Views: 11
Here in Idaho, we have cold windy winters. We don't want coops up like that where the wind could blow underneath. My coop is on the ground with a dirt floor and it is tall enough for me to stand in so l can rake it out. A 6×8 shed should be big enough plus a fenced in run.

I would recommend buying a shed and having your carpenter or handyman do this: https://timbercreekfarmer.com/make-a-chicken-coop-from-a-garden-shed/

this only will work though if it opens up into some chicken run, they can’t stay in there forever, just at night. remember every coop must have nesting boxes, and roosting bars. If you don’t have anyone to work on your shed, or if the interest doesn’t appeal to you, try Omlet.
https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_k...a-34MEMTdSny2kBPtnnvSVMXIid68N9hoClb8QAvD_BwE

Omlet really does here the best coops. they are predator proof. you can add rain, sun, and snow protection, thermal covers, feeders and waters, peck toys, swings and more just from the website that simplest “click” into their spots. the smallest coop would probably work fine for up to 4 chickens, but if you wanted more, the taller one and slightly larger would work better. you should also consider is you want a “tractor”, that you can move around to get them fresh grass.

i do believe that the best solution is to fence out a large area where you have a big tree to protect them that is on grass, preferably dirt (easier to maintain and just scatter some mealworms on there they will love that!) and put a shed if you are willing to. omlet will also work, but probably not as good as the shed. my first chicken setup was for 5 chickens. first, we got a regular coop like this: https://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Outd...1&keywords=chicken+coop&qid=1616860349&sr=8-4

That works for about a month and MY GOD it was absolute hell to clean this think. overall, it was just not a good experience. we switched to a shed we got at costco and it worked great.

let me know if you need any more help, or if you need help deciding chicken breeds.

You should make your own. You can build something really nice for $600 and if you’re willing to search craigslist for free items, you could do it for even less!
there's lots of plans available for free. search the innertube for ideas. for yer budget you could build one that would be better than what you could buy. don't forget some kind of fenced yard for them, unless they will be free range. still need some kind of protection from predators - four legged and winged

there's lots of plans available for free. search the innertube for ideas. for yer budget you could build one that would be better than what you could buy. don't forget some kind of fenced yard for them, unless they will be free range. still need some kind of protection from predators - four legged and winged
Yes, that "innertube" is so awesome! 🤣 Don't you just love spell check?
At least I think that was spell check?? Innertube?? Is there something I do not know about :hmm

Back
Top Bottom