New guy here. Need help on coop

Having had both raised and walk in I definitely prefer a walk in.

I like windows for the natural light they allow in. They are also nice in summer if you have ones that can open.

I sold my ducks so am actually going to start a coop expansion that includes a salvaged window from a screen door. Free to me and nice and big.
Just keep in mind that windows in sun equals heat. Shade is best in summer.
Honestly I wasn’t thinking windows that open and close. Just some metal cloth windows. Wish I was a carpenter

How would one design a poop tray? Don’t think the old man has a clue what I’m talking about
Welcome Jesus Freak . Love Jesus too. Lots of info here for sure. I live in midwest and just got my flock of 5 last Sept. so I am new also and have learned a few things. Chickens are great. I don't have the high humidity that you have but I see you have gotten good advice from some fellow folks that also live down south. I have a 4x8 raised coop that has shelter under to protect from rain and wind. I crawl in my 4x5 coop space to clean it weekly . Instead of poop boards I just lay down plastic strips (cut up food bag) under their roost on top of bedding under their butts and it catches 95%of their poop while they sleep. Makes cleaning easy and I use the deep litter method which helps with chores and smells. I have a 8x18 run which is really where they spend the majority of their time . I like the idea of screened in sides for you for ventilation.

Attachments

• IMG_20200902_154106.jpg
    IMG_20200902_154106.jpg
    850.3 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for the response. I’m not sure which route to take honestly. So many stinking options. I think I’m gonna have a poultry electric fence until I can get my back yard enclosed. Then I plan on letting them roam most of the time. The guy that said he would build it uses a nail gun so I’m a little skeptical. Honestly I would rather build myself but I know lumber is expensive rightnnow

Y’all have really gone above and beyond on your responses. I feel the love. My problem is I’m an over achiever. As soon as I realized I wanted chickens I started doing research and seeing all of y’all’s ideas and plans has made me want to have it perfect. I could build it I’m sure but I have a circle saw and that’s about it. I found a guy that would build it for me for around $400. Just not exactly sure how I want the layout. I’m thinking 4 feet wide and 8 ft deep. The front (4ft) would be open and the sides(8ft) would have about a foot of ventilation all the way around the top. And the back would be my perches and also have the back door for cleaning out under the perches. And a roosting box somewhere on the 8ft side.
Y’all have given me so much info that it’s definitely gonna take me a few more weeks to figure out what I wanna do. but I’m like this with everything; bonsai, chess, plants, and now chickens. I’m an all in kinda guy. It’s draining
We drew up our plans 3 times! So take your time. My honey is very handy and we were putting up a privacy fence anyway so we backed our coop up to corner of fence. We used oa lot of leftover plywood . 4x8 is a good plan as that is size of most building materials. So no waste. Our coop is 4x8 with 3 ' of storage on back side (we separate with chicken wire wall between the 2 sides) we have 5 chickens 2 nest boxes and 4x5 coop. 4" roost on back side. I live where winters are sometimes brutal , so my coop is more for winter protection than ventilation.

Thanks for the response. I’m not sure which route to take honestly. So many stinking options. I think I’m gonna have a poultry electric fence until I can get my back yard enclosed. Then I plan on letting them roam most of the time. The guy that said he would build it uses a nail gun so I’m a little skeptical. Honestly I would rather build myself but I know lumber is expensive rightnnow
Yes lumber is super expensive now. I watched a ton of you tubes first before I came up with our coop design . 2 nest boxes are plenty period. My husband wanted to build one for each chicken! They lay in the same one mostly, if full it's nice to have a second option for them. If you have a good plan you're comfortable with $400.00 is a good price if you can afford it I think. At least it will be 2x4s not cheap 2x2 with paneling like some of cheapie coops you see advertised.

Yes lumber is super expensive now. I watched a ton of you tubes first before I came up with our coop design . 2 nest boxes are plenty period. My husband wanted to build one for each chicken! They lay in the same one mostly, if full it's nice to have a second option for them. If you have a good plan you're comfortable with $400.00 is a good price if you can afford it I think. At least it will be 2x4s not cheap 2x2 with paneling like some of cheapie coops you see advertised.
I like the electric fence idea too. I would also suggest chicks from hatchery as they are vaccinated for a terrible disease called Marrecks at 1 day old.

Honestly I wasn’t thinking windows that open and close. Just some metal cloth windows. Wish I was a carpenter

In your area that should be ok. The biggest issue could be the driving/pouring rain.

Nail gun=impossible to take apart to replace portions or expand or alter. :th
Any chance of talking him into using screws?

Gonna try and talk him into using deck screws. The more I do my research I feel like I should just do it but then again not sure I could do it for $400.
The idea you're describing sounds pretty good.

Don't build any deeper from the access door than you can reach into unless you can walk in.

I'm not sure if "roost box" was a typo for nest box or not? :)
Yea I meant nest box. I’ve seen a space for sand at the front where the big opening is. Thought about having a roosting bar there so they can enjoy the sun if they so desire.

Back
Top Bottom