New guy with a question about small coops

welcome-byc.gif

So I guess you're thinking of using it as a chicken coop? Do you want to use this as your primary coop or more like a moveable tractor? How many and what breed of chickens do you have (or plan to get)?

Some more information would be helpful (to make sure know what your questions are).

Yeah I have a tight budget of 100 and I only plan on two dominickers. I was going to move it around the yard like a tractor and let them free range when i can keep an eye on them. I was wondering if it would be sufficent? Thanks for the replys.

Hi and welcome to BYC. IMO it would be ok for 2 birds. I'm not sure if its feasible for you, but a used garden shed would give you a lot more space and flexibility for expansion in the future.

All the best
CT

It's a bit tight on coop space but if you don't have more than 2 chickens, you'll probably be ok. If you go this route, you'll want to figure out a way of anchoring it at night so digging predators can't get inside.

As an almost free alternative to the coop, you might want to check into pallet coops. Pallets are free at some places (we get them at a hardware store) and with a bit of hardware and elbow grease, you can make a bigger coop.

Good luck to you, whichever way you go, I hope it works out well for you!

Hello! Welcome to BYC!

I'm concerned about using this for a coop, even for only 2.

The dimensions of the 'coop' part are only approx 1.5'x2'. That's only around 3 sq ft of space for both your birds to share. 4 sq ft per bird minimum is what is suggested.
Also, chickens really should be roosting when sleeping. This coop will not allow any room to put in a roosting board of any kind. And where will they lay their eggs when they start?

I think you would be better off following NorthFlChick's advice and look into building something with free pallets.

Back
Top Bottom