New guy

khloee

Songster
Aug 10, 2020
Hi everyone. I'm a new member to the backyard chickens team. I'm one of the younger chicken mommas. About 4 years ago I had a flock of four hen, three of which were named after the Three Stooges, the other was a bantam and a silkie roo. Unfortunately all but one of my birds was killed by a raccoon. The remaining bird was sent to my grandmas farm where she had over 30 other chickens. Last year I decided to get more chickens because I missed the time I spent with them. I ordered 4 Silver-laced Wyandottes and got my bird back from my grandma (Larry a white leghorn). They surprisingly got along well when I introduced them. This year I got four new chicks, a California White hen, a Plymouth Barred Rock hen, a bantam silkie, and a prairie blue bell egger. Those of which almost died in a fire, but that's a story from another day. We built a new coop to hold all our new birds and old birds. They've been living together for almost four months and are still picking on each other occasionally. I spend lots of time with them and laugh at the funny stuff they do.

It's heartbreaking to lose chickens to a predator, and some people just give up on having birds afterwards. Good for you for getting back into "the chicken life" again. And, it's great that Larry got to come home and everybody lives happily together.

Sounds like you have a lovely flock (my :house chicken is a Prairie Bluebell Egger, and like your fire story, that's one for another day!). Welcome to the group, and here's to hearing more from you!

Back
Top Bottom