new guy

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you have joined us.

No personal experience with RIR. But when I was selecting my own flock had read they could be aggressive. But have heard from others on the forums and re-read the breed characteristics and guess I misread…They say the pullets are friendly, it's the roos that can be aggressive.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. There can be a lot of variation in Rhode Island Reds depending on whether or not they are bred by breeders to APA standards or whether they are hatchery grade RIRs. Sometimes RIRs can be quite aggressive with children (especially the roosters) and I wouldn't personally recommend them as a breed for children (particularly small children). Instead I would go with a breed that has a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle with children (potential lap pets) such as Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Cochins, Sussex, Silkies, or Faverolles. If egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

The birds should be just fine around little kids. RIR's can be aggressive with each other but not with humans. Spend lots of time with the chicks while they are still in the brooder, get them out on the living room floor for some bonding and field trips and just be careful when little children handle the chicks in that they dont' drop them.

Enjoy your new babies and welcome to our flock!

Is there any way of identifying pullets from rosters when they are still chicks?
You can start to see differences around 4 to 8 weeks of age. Roosters or Cockerels as they are called, will develop a big ol comb much earlier than pullets that will turn red fairly quick. The Pullets will get their combs soon, but they will stay small pale. Cockerels will feather much slower than pullets. Generally at one week of age, pullets will have their primary wing feathers growing where as cockerels will still be fuzzy with no primaries growing yet.

Back
Top Bottom