New Hampshire Breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by usschicago1, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I'm guessing from your post, he isn't show quality....

Sorry about that Shadowhills.
    It was meant to say, I would say that he isn't Show Quality..

Chris

2. ConchRepublic

ConchRepublic Looking For My Marbles

Jan 22, 2010
    Dunnellon, Fl
    Quote:I'm guessing from your post, he isn't show quality....

Sorry about that Shadowhills.

Chris

Oh no problem! Just got confused for a moment [​IMG] Thanks for the help!

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Sorry about that Shadowhills.

Chris

Oh no problem! Just got confused for a moment [​IMG] Thanks for the help!

Any time..

Chris

4. upthecreek

upthecreek Songster

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    Thanks for the info on "Shady Lane Poultry" . That's bad about the Flooding . And i'm thinking all of their birds were bred around Quality (show type also) .
    Shannon

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Ya, they all where bred for show quality..

Chris

6. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Shady Lane Poultry doesnt have many breeds anymore they lost most of their stock in a flood a couple years ago i belive they are down to White Leghorns, RIR, and Buckeyes in LF.

7. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Crowing

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:Yeah, this roo is some sorta crop out of a sex link or somethings crossed up in the mix somewhere.
    New Hampshires do not have any white anywhere on them they should look like a Rhode Island Red just a lot lighter red in color(chestnut red is their color description) matter of fact have only seen just a couple on here that look like New Hampshires most look to be production type reds, [​IMG]

Here's a link to see what color New hampshires are supposed to look like:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/NH/BRKNH.html

catdaddy

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  8. americana-chick

americana-chick Songster

Jun 18, 2008
    And here is my new hampshire red roo. He is getting very old now and is actually blind in one eye. He is very special to me andd is a sweat heart, he use to be the head of the flock and because of his horrible fight when he got his eye poked out, feathers torn off all over, and part of his comb missing he has gone to the very bottom and cant mate with the hens anymore because of his blindness. Got any ideas on how to help him? He use to be a GORGEOUS rooster, very nice and still is besides his missing eye and comb. I wish i could have been there to stop the fight so maybe this guy would have had a second chance and not get his eye poked out [​IMG] Sorry i am going on and on about him but i really feel bad about what happened a long time ago.
    [​IMG]

9. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Oh hes amazing! Alot of times when there older its tough for them. Maybe a seperate coop for him and a low rank hen. Or if you coop is heated i would just leave him in the coop all day. Pretty picture and thanks for participating so much! Hes lovely. [​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Gorgeous rooster! Well, I posted here on page oooh one about my NHR girls, and never had pics. Well, here's some pics I fionally got. They are both 7 months old - first is Mahogany, and the second is Moha, whom I sometimes feel is heavier than our Brahma girls! She's very calm, sweet, and lays the most pink eggs I have ever known! Both are hatchery girls, and I don't know what New Hampshires are supposed to look like, but I do love Moha's appearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: