New Hampshire Breed Thread

Pics
Do you have any pics of your ideal girls

Please consider the following before ordering chicks from a hatchery:

It costs the same to feed average hatchery birds as it does standard high quality breeder's birds...

I have had both...and I won't ever do hatchery birds again...

breeder's birds are bigger, live longer (more vigor), better temperaments, and are more beautiful, and in general more enjoyable...

you really do get what you pay for with most everything in life
wink.png

Here are some breeder birds photos...No way you will get anything this nice at ANY hatchery.

6 week old chicks

NH Male from well known breeder (sire of the chicks above)

Hen from same breeder.

I wish there was a breeder of nh around my home in louisiana
You could check with catdaddyfro here on BYC...he's in LA I believe..maybe Parish?...He has NH's and others.
However, shipping is generally safe and should not be too expensive for real young birds...desertmarcy does ship.

I had one of my Reece/Germain NH roosters for dinner tonight, sure was good. I found someone to butcher them on shares. I did not weigh them but I am thinking 3.5 to 4 pounds in 14 weeks. Just the right size for the two of us. I am thinking at 14 weeks that is not to bad

thumbsup.gif
even better you didn't have to process him yourself...sounds like a good weight at that age. should be good layers too--will have to wait awhile longer for that to prove out.

I wish there was a breeder of nh around my home in louisiana

Chris Herzog is in Covington a little closer to you than I am I'm from way up north(as ya'll real far southerners refer us as) around the Leesville/Ft. Polk area.

Either way it may be a little late now due to heat may have to wait till fallish type weather ITs bad humid here now I know that Cindy's got us beat in numbers of degrees but I bet we got her beat in dreadfulness and pure dee downright nastiness and sweat dripping HOTNESS here though, Desert rats come on an get you'all some LOL

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff! I'm still at it with my Bantams but broke up my Lg Fowl pens a few months ago.

I may put some birds together when it cools down a little in a couple months if tamay26 can hold off a little.

Chris Herzog is in Covington a little closer to you than I am I'm from way up north(as ya'll real far southerners refer us as) around the Leesville/Ft. Polk area.

Either way it may be a little late now due to heat may have to wait till fallish type weather ITs bad humid here now I know that Cindy's got us beat in numbers of degrees but I bet we got her beat in dreadfulness and pure dee downright nastiness and sweat dripping HOTNESS here though, Desert rats come on an get you'all some LOL

Jeff
Jeff, I know what you mean on sticky heat...spent the first 35+ years of my life in Tulsa, OK.
Moved to Northern Calif. @ 2004 and then to AZ in 2011. Of all 3, Northern Calif. has 'em beat for awesome weather...
Sure it hit 90 in Novato, CA (where I was at in 2010) but it dropped to cool 58 by late evening...now that's what I'm talkin' about!!!
cool.png

Here in Hell's Kitchen (AZ) it will hit 113+ by Saturday and only drop to 88-90 for the low. Wowza...that's the real difference...it just does not give you or the critters much of a break...'course that 's a heat wave here...it will last about a week then back to a 'cooler' 105+ and down to 78-80ish until the next heat wave....hoping we get some monsoons early this year...where we'll be blessed with some rain droplets or maybe even a full 1/4 inch!! LOL
People live here for the nice winters, I suppose...we moved here due to my husband's career/job. I still miss Northern Cali terribly...up in Walt's neck of the woods
big_smile.png

It really is 'chicken heaven' there....
I am having to get real creative with chick brooding....mixture of fans, low watt bulbs and frozen bottles of water to come close to ideal temps for them...they are a bit too young at 4 days to put in outside coop/grow out pen just yet...there's a mister out there and lots of shade...NEVER AGAIN will I hatch this late...
he.gif
but opportunity knocked with Roebuck's Buff Rocks and I answered the door of course!!

Still lovin' the half and half NH's....set 2 friends up with a few males and 4-6 females...doing real well with them thus far...I need to post some pics soon...about 5 months now. The males just started crowing...lanky as heck still...females are looking decent...some with pinched tails that favor more of the Reese side and some with nice open tails and a bit lighter than the classic germans...some black ticking showing up in some female's hackles...we'll see after first adult molt on coloring i suppose. It was a good cross for dual purpose and I don't think it would take a long time to get them approaching SOP really either. None of the females are laying yet...'course with this heat that might be delayed a bit too.

Hey guys I'm wanting to raise some nh red any and all advice welcome and appreciated.... Is there a difference between the nh red and the German NH red?

Back
Top Bottom