New Hampshire Red OR New Hampshire Heritage Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mrs. Nettie Metcalf actually did call her birds "BUCKEYE REDS" and attempted to get them admitted with that name. In 1909 recounting the history of the Buckeye, Metcalf wrote, she

Yes, I have read her writings and was aware of this. This is indeed interesting. As Miss Nettie's development of her breed was something of a parallel to what the RI Red folks were doing. I find her use of the symbol of Ohio to have been an interesting choice.

Last edited:
I did not know that Chris. I often refer to my RIR's as Reds but never really thought anything about it. Not that I have or want Rhode Island Whites but would I be correct in calling them Whites?

Just wondering!!!
Chris
Thanks Chris,

Different Shades/breeds of RED:

Note also: There is another "RED" breed called a "RED SUSSEX": Place of Origin: County of Sussex (UK); Variety: Red (admitted as an APA breed in 1914)
There are more than one Breed that has a "Red" Variety but there is only one Breed of Red and that is the Rhode Island Red.

Quote: That's Incorrect.

The breed is a SUSSEX
The Variety is RED [Also known as a Black Tailed Red in the U.K.]

Sussex Red [Black Tailed Red]
Sussex_Rood-zwartcolumbia_haan.jpg
Sussex_Rood-zwartcolumbia_hen.jpg

Chris

Mrs. Nettie Metcalf actually did call her birds "BUCKEYE REDS" and attempted to get them admitted with that name. In 1909 recounting the history of the Buckeye, Metcalf wrote, she
The reason the "Red" was dropped off the Buckeye name was to get excepted into the APA since the Rhode Island Red was already in the ASOP since 1905.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
The Buckeye is in the 1905 SOP too and were ACCEPTED by the APA in 1904 -- I belive Mrs. Metcalf's explanation as she was present at that point in time. Her account is first-hand knowledge or what I call "personal knowledge."

Quote: The SOP actually has "RED SUSSEX" and I agree -- as I said:
Variety: Red (admitted as an APA breed in 1914)

It would seem to me, IMHO (and it is a humble one), that since non-SQ RIRs are referred to by many as "Production Reds" to distinguish them from the SQ [heritage ] RIRs, and common folk also call any non-SQ barred or cuckoo chicken as a "Dominecker" or some such, that it would only be logical to distinguish non SQ- N.H.s with some common name and what better (as apparently some hatcheries have done, than call them (and distinguish them) by "N.H. Reds."

Since the OP called her thread "New Hampshire Reds OR New Hampshire Heritage Thread," it seems she has made the distinction; I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Quote:
Yes, Interesting & perhaps had something to do with their color being similar to the buckeye nut. I guess there were prior attempts in other places to make new breeds of chickens and give them the name "Buckeyes" as I have read of people claiming the name was for Bucks County, PA but I have not been able to chase down the story of this legend or its origins (though I have tried).

It would seem to me, IMHO (and it is a humble one), that since non-SQ RIRs are referred to by many as "Production Reds" to distinguish them from the SQ [heritage ] RIRs, and common folk also call any non-SQ barred or cuckoo chicken as a "Dominecker" or some such, that it would only be logical to distinguish non SQ- N.H.s with some common name and what better (as apparently some hatcheries have done, than call them (and distinguish them) by "N.H. Reds."

Since the OP called her thread "New Hampshire Reds OR New Hampshire Heritage Thread," it seems she has made the distinction; I don't know what all the fuss is about.

I agree Chris hence my previous post
smile.png

Thanks for not deserting me!
smile.png

Here are some of my birds. I love them.

And for anyone out there, please don't say they're "production reds." They are NHR. Certified.

Your right these are New Hampshire reds or whatever in the world anybody that owns or sells them as.(doesn't make them a breed though, a lot of different types of chickens are sold that are not breeds as I think Fred posted a few examples of.

BUT...

here are New Hampshires see the differences:

http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/c/cb/900x900px-LL-cb03c2cd_DSCN2455.jpeg
http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/0/02/900x900px-LL-02587665_DSCN2449.jpeg

Jeff

Last edited:
The Buckeye is in the 1905 SOP too and were ACCEPTED by the APA in 1904 -- I belive Mrs. Metcalf's explanation as she was present at that point in time. Her account is first-hand knowledge or what I call "personal knowledge."

The SOP actually has "RED SUSSEX" and I agree -- as I said:
Variety: Red (admitted as an APA breed in 1914)

Quote:
The SOP has it listed as --
Breed Sussex
Variety Red

I did Quote your what you "miss-wrought" --

Quote:
As for the date of the Buckeye, I thought you posted that it was 1909.

Chris

I am guessing Chloe is young (perhaps teenager?) -- she can correct me. IMHO, it is very wise to to get down your husbandry skills and tinkering with poultry with hatchery stock befor ein vesting in breeder stock, and I also advise it for anyone just wanting eggs or a backyard ornamental flock. There is nothing wrong with the hatchery stock. They are a lot of fun, interesting, behave like chickens should and full of personality -- just like all chickens. I believe it is all good.

The heritage breeds are too valuable and too rare to just have for some eggs or as a backyard ornament. I get approached all the time by people just keeping hens but wanting to buy my best stock -- I just won't do it.

I think on these threads, the problem is that we have such of mix of people and a plethora of reasons for keeping poultry that this sometimes gets lost -- we have a full spectrum of poultry enthusiasts: APA judges, an APA officer, the president of the SPPA all the way to people experiencing their first chickens & all ages of people -- that's what makes this forum so interesting. I also believe we come across on these threads as we do not intend to come across, take ourselves a little too serious & we need to realize this as well.

There are more serious forums for the real serious minded and we can be serious here also -- we just need to keep in mind the broad spectrum of people who come on here to learn and that they may be keeping poultry for many variety of reasons.

Good day to all of you. We are getting a little rain here, much needed as we have been in a drought . . . I noticed my Buckeyes are out in the rain and seem to be enjoying it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom