New Hampshire Red thread!!!!!!!!!

Pics
They like dust bathing; mine do it in several different places in the yard, I guess it depends on what strikes their fancy that day. lol
Smoked ribs sounds sooooo good!!!
droolin.gif
I've been beggin' DH for ribs, but we just don't seem to be able to get them.
hu.gif

I might start looking on CraigsList and see what I can find. I really want some colorful egg layers, but I don't really plan on hatching them. We're trying to go in the purebreed direction, but we also eat a lot of eggs, so that gives me an excuse to hatch my barnyard mutts' eggs too. hehehe
Most breeds don't start laying until their about 20 weeks, some don't start until they're like six months, and I have Leghorn mixes that still aren't even near laying and their seven months old.
rant.gif
Free loaders!!!
Please don't worry about talking too much; I do too. (don't tell anyone lol)
I knew you were kidding, but I wouldn't say anything anyway. =)

You sound just like me. When I still have no eggs from the ones old enough to be laying eggs I call them freeloaders too. That's funny. You said you have been begging DH to get some ribs. Meat is so expensive. I always buy the marked down meat. One of my daughters is married to a farmer and they brought me a big cooler of beef last night when they came for dinner. They do that every now and then when they have a cow butchered. So about once a year I get meat. I can't afford to buy what they gave me in the store. I'm not broke but refuse to pay what they want for a steak. I had so much meat left over, it's to bad you don't live next door. I would have been more than happy to share. I'm not a big fan of smoked meat. I just thought it would be fun to do. Everyone liked it so that was good. Better go out and talk to my chickens. I neglected them yesterday.

I know what you mean about the price of beef. It's ridiculous!!!
One of my NHs has cocci. Well, I'm guessing it's cocci; someone has bloody diarrhea. I'm treating all of them (whey in their feed and Corid in their water w/ their vitamin/electrolyte mixture). That's all I can do. My experience with my mutts has taught me to expect to lose at least a few of them; if I only lose one, that would be a miracle. Hopefully, I won't lose all of half of them; I guess we'll see in the next week or two.
Enjoy talking to your chickens. =)

Well, that's to bad about the chick. I'm going to have to read up on that stuff in case that ever happens with mine. Hopefully it won't. I wonder how those diseases get started. I thought those hatcheries inoculated newborn chicks. Well, my chickens won't have to raid my tomatoes. I picked a lot today and gave them several that weren't perfect. Nothing rotten just a spot or split. I spoil my chickens to much. Well, I am hitting the sack early tonight. ttyl good luck with your chicks.

Coccidiosis is caused by cocci virus that lives in the soil. When it rains, the virus comes to the surface and the chickens (especially chicks) can get an overload of it.
They vaccinate against Marek's, but I think that's the only thing they can be vaccinated against being I received them at one day old.
The treatment is Corid (I don't remember the generic or chemical name for it; Corid is a brand name). Corid can also be used as a preventative.
Be careful giving them tomatoes. Tomatoes (and peppers and potatoes) are from the nightshade family and are toxic. I think (at least some) chickens can build up a tolerance to them; mine ate all of the few tomatoes I was able to grow last year.
Thanks for the well wishing. I found four dead this morning and another died while I was out getting meds for them and dewormer for my buff cockerel. There's one more that I can't count on to make it, so... I'm doing what I can and that's all that I can do.
Turning early sounds nice; I married a night owl, so we never do that and he stays up after I go to sleep.
ttyl

I was told she's a new Hampshire red but I haven't seen one quite as light as her yet, what do you think? Her name is Lydia :)

I was told she's a new Hampshire red but I haven't seen one quite as light as her yet, what do you think? Her name is Lydia :)

You could do an image search for New Hampshire red hen.
For its too tell, we'd need a better pic, more of a side view rather than almost straight down.
She does look kind of light, might be a golden Comet, which has a little NH in the mix, but Mid's unlikely to go broody at all.

Has anyone purchased NHR's from Ideal poultry in the last few years and were/are you happy with what you received?

I did not come to get ideal poultry bashed , i have received nice birds from them in the past so please do not use my question as a way to bash their site
wink.png
that is not why i am here.

Thank you.
ZAZ

Has anyone purchased NHR's from Ideal poultry in the last few years and were/are you happy with what you received?

I did not come to get ideal poultry bashed , i have received nice birds from them in the past so please do not use my question as a way to bash their site
wink.png
that is not why i am here.

Thank you.
ZAZ

I got my NHRs from Meyer. IDK anything about Ideal. I'm sure they're like any other hatchery, some ppl love them and some ppl hate them. lol
Please let us know how that goes for you.
BTW, I got good birds from Meyer. They're pretty, intelligent, and hearty. Just saying, b/c that's the only relevant info I have. =)

Back
Top Bottom