New Hampshire reds and barred rocks!

Silkie2

Songster
Mar 1, 2016
Southern NH
IMG_5350.JPG
IMG_5353.JPG
We got 7 New Hampshire Reds yesterday (NHR) and 2 barred rocks. The NHRs are from a German line, but we're born in oaklahoma (they would be perfect show birds, but we don't show lol) the lady got more chicks then she expected so she was giving them away (so we took them, along with two batted rocks) what are your thoughts on these hens? The lady said they look like all hens, do any look like roosters? ( really hoping not since we already have a rooster) also the two barred rocks are REALLY small to be fully feathered (I could be wrong though, we haven't had the breed in years! Lol)

Its hard to see from the pic but it looks like you may have 2 NHR cockerels. The 1st one and the 3rd one back on the left both look like they have waddle development. Where as the others dont. And thats a sign of a cockerel (early waddle development). Like I said its hard to see from the pic but thats what I would guess.

Its hard to see from the pic but it looks like you may have 2 NHR cockerels. The 1st one and the 3rd one back on the left both look like they have waddle development. Where as the others dont. And thats a sign of a cockerel (early waddle development). Like I said its hard to see from the pic but thats what I would guess.
I was thinking the same thing.

Did she say how old the are?
sorry i forgot to add that in, they were born in april (so around 2 months)

ok,
is it impossible to keep 2 roosters together? just curious. i already have a wesummer rooster (i'm kinda attached to him lol) and if i keep just one NHR would they constantly fight? i have 30+ hens.

He will probably look up to him as alpha,but that can all change,if he gets bigger and bolder he may decide he wants top boss,and some roosters just cannot get along and will not fight for place but fight to death,each is different. If the alpha can tolerate them,they usually all live pretty peacefully.
Some just cannot stand having another one around,it is possible to keep two or more roosters.

Back
Top Bottom