New Hampshire Reds

Got 3 barred rocks yesterday, they are 18 weeks and mean little birds, lol. The other five RI hybrids are being pecked on the heads by these three new hens. Can't tell for sure yet if it's just one bully, but they aren't afraid of the others. Also they don't appear to know how to go into the coop at dark or sleep on roosts yet. Will that change with in time? And will the different birds eventually huddle together or always stay in their own "cliches"?

Got 3 barred rocks yesterday, they are 18 weeks and mean little birds, lol. The other five RI hybrids are being pecked on the heads by these three new hens. Can't tell for sure yet if it's just one bully, but they aren't afraid of the others. Also they don't appear to know how to go into the coop at dark or sleep on roosts yet. Will that change with in time? And will the different birds eventually huddle together or always stay in their own "cliches"?
How did you introduce them?

How did you introduce them?
I just let them get out of a box in the run with all the birds and later let them free range together. After a few days they seem to know now to go in when dark but only one knows to use a perch. They still want to be segregated but hopefully they will integrate. Didn't notice them pecking the older chickens today. Maybe already becoming a flock. Will be interesting if one of the new birds become the top of the order. The hen killed by a raccoon a few months back was the flock leader. And haven't seen a clear leader out of the remaining five.

Thanks all, what about barred rocks? The coop is sized for up to 20 birds. Would getting 3 new birds prevent the other 5 existing hens from attacking the new ones?
Do you have pictures of this coop "sized for up to 20 birds"? That wording has me concerned.
PBRs are very assertive but not mean, at least that has been my observation of the whopping 2 that I've had!
It takes months for two sub-flocks to become a cohesive flock.
If no one is being injured or bullied and everyone is behaving otherwise normally, eating, drinking and scratching around, they will be fine.
As for the roosting, can you post pictures of the inside of the coop so we can see the roosting options?

Do you have pictures of this coop "sized for up to 20 birds"? That wording has me concerned.
PBRs are very assertive but not mean, at least that has been my observation of the whopping 2 that I've had!
It takes months for two sub-flocks to become a cohesive flock.
If no one is being injured or bullied and everyone is behaving otherwise normally, eating, drinking and scratching around, they will be fine.
As for the roosting, can you post pictures of the inside of the coop so we can see the roosting options?
So a few days later, the Rocks are still pecking the others on their heads and they move away when they get near. Also near water and food they seem to get their way till done, leaving scraps for the RI reds. Here's my coop. 6x5 in the front and the rear unit which is bridged but currently gated apart is 3x5. Rear is currently for storage of extra pine shavings. Will separating them help are just make them more aggressive?
PXL_20201201_171238482.jpg
PXL_20201201_171301760.jpg
PXL_20201201_171328803.jpg

Back
Top Bottom